Computer Science Personal Statement

Computing and its applications have always fascinated me and for this reason I have found my A-level courses extremely interesting. This also has maintained my long-term interest in computer-related careers

I have studied mathematics, physics and computing to A-level and also during the first year at Hills Road Sixth Form College I re-took my GCSE English.

Last year and this year I have been improving my self-learning, and developing many skills with the help of the key skills qualifications and A-level General Studies

My sincerest desire is to become a computer scientist. Specifically, I am interested in exploring how problems can be modeled and solved using artificial intelligence. I also want to learn about human cognition and machine intelligence.

I have been studying the online debate over whether machines will ever become "intelligent" given the current course of research and reading about such issues as whether a machine can acquire "common sense" (as discussed in Hubert Dreyfus's book "What Computers Still Can't Do").

I have been exploring many different areas within the domain of artificial intelligence (such as neural networks, genetic algorithms, and natural language processing). The bottom line is that I want to be a part of this exciting field.

Over the summer I traveled to Russia, and thoroughly enjoyed exploring a very different part of the world

My other interests include current affairs and sports, such as football, tennis and general fitness. Ever since the start of sixth form I have been a successful member of the college football team. I have played basketball as an enrichment activity because it was a new sport to me at the beginning of sixth form.

I also participated in a 5-a-side indoor football tournament at the college. In addition to pursuing my academic studies I would like to continue some of these sports at university.

Year applied: 
2000
Subject: 
Computer Science
Computing and IT

Not The Best

This PS mentions your need to re-take English, which may be a turn-off for some universities, as they would prefer to have their students competent in expressing themselves. It is also extremely short. But, it does touch on several good points, and I wish you the best of luck with it.