Computer Science personal statement

From an early age I’ve always been deeply interested in computing. It was my dad, introducing me to the computer systems at his work place that first sparked this interest. I can always remember the feeling of wanting to know just how computers worked, why they worked and what else they could do.

This interest never left me, only growing more profound and passionate with every new discovery I made. From communicating with an artificial intelligence to seeing the wonders of the Internet for the first time, computers have left me fascinated with just how much power yet mystery they hold.

The A-Levels I chose to study have all helped me to develop both myself and my understanding of the subject. Physics for example has helped me to understand how certain parts of a computer function, while Computing has given me a greater insight into the business aspects of the computer industry.
Chemistry and Physics have both helped to improve my analytical and evaluative skills. Within maths I have been lucky enough to have a teacher who was very interested in computer science. He has been especially helpful, lending me books such as Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid. This has given me an insight into the richness that is computer science.

My interest in computing has not been restricted to the classroom and college life. Within the last twelve months I’ve used the knowledge that I’ve gained over the past twelve years together with the help of my family to set up my own computer related business. This has given me a totally new perspective on how certain things function, and how business operates. The writing of a business plan was a totally alien experience for me, but over the course of 9 months I researched and planned, and finally when the plan was complete I was rewarded with the satisfaction of knowing that I had completed something that most people would never have the chance to do especially at my age.
Through the setting up of the company and its subsequent running I have learnt many things. These include how to balance tasks effectively, how critical teamwork can be and how to delegate tasks to get the job done quickly and efficiently.

As well as spending time both studying and helping to run the business I understand the importance of having time to relax. One of my hobbies that I try to make time for is learning to fly, and gaining my private pilots license. As a child I dreamed of becoming a pilot and luckily its one dream that I’ve managed to follow. I love the freedom that flying gives you and the control that you have when in the air. Training for my private pilots license (PPL) has also involved me taking onboard a lot of responsibility for the safety of those onboard, and those around the aircraft. From ensuring that I carry out the pre-flight checks correctly, and knowing what’s around you both while you’re on the ground and in the air to ensuring that I’m prepared for any eventuality.
I also enjoy both playing and watching tennis. I’ve played in various competitions before, and have helped to umpire junior matches at my club. To ensure that I can fit everything in I’ve had to develop very good time management, prioritising what I need to do efficiently.

I’m looking forward with great anticipation to the challenges that studying for a degree in computer science will bring.

This personal statement was written by Soulfish.

Soulfish's university choices
Cambridge University
The University of Edinburgh
The University of York

Degree
Computer Science at The University of York

Statement rating:****

Comment by guest at 00:00 4/06/2004

a good profile but have you READ the books you mention and also elaborate more on Maths - it's very crucial to your Computer Science degree. Why Comp Sci not SW Engineering or Comp Games, what do you hope to learn?

ignore the h8r comment above by guest at 00:00 6/09/2004

I just graduted from a Comp Si degree and your PS covers waay more than I did. Ignore the comment above adding more academi will make your PS seem too rehearsed. It is lear you have a passion for computing that is all the admissions officers are looking for. Good luck!

Comment by guest at 00:00 19/11/2004

Very nice.

Comment by guest at 00:00 20/01/2005

This is one of the best computer science personal statements that I have ever set my eyes on. You clearly have a deep interest in the subject. You'll secure places easily! All the best for University.

Comment by guest at 00:00 23/06/2005

decent

looks too rehearsed by guest at 00:00 2/11/2005

very wrong liuke it has been copied from a book

Comment by guest at 00:00 2/11/2005

if n really wrote this ps by urself then it is really good. nice one

Comment by guest at 00:00 7/11/2005

I enjoyed reading this. Very straight to the point and is what everyone does too.

Needs Work.. by guest at 00:00 26/04/2006

Sentences are too attenuated...Grammatical reconstruction is required...In other words, some sentences are too long and muddled. They can confuse the reader. Just my 2 cents...BLE$$.

L6 personal statement researcher by guest at 00:00 16/06/2006

Thank You for this brilliant personal statement. It has played a huge part my planning.

Comment by guest at 22:18 16/10/2006

Thank you very much this has helped me out greatly. I was killing myself on how to write mine

Looks great but... by guest at 18:25 16/01/2007

Well I have read some of your statement. I am considering Uni, but not sure what cource to take....... I ahve no idea what computer science is but, i dont think i'll do well at it becasue i do not no what it is. HOw long did it take you, did you use a dictionary? Does it really have to be that loooooooonnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg?????

Comment by guest at 23:43 2/03/2007

overall this is good, although the first paragraph leaves a lot to be desired. the first line is grammatically incorrect, and the following two are clumsy. i can see why cambridge wouldn't have liked this. first impressions are key with a personal statement, it is very like an interview in this respect.

red flags by guest at 19:25 14/03/2007

The lack of details raises red flags for me; I've no idea what business this student initiated, don't know his father's job, or the name of the very helpful teacher.

Comment by guest at 15:05 8/05/2007

wel..this is how it goes..pretty average..nahin to special...cud rite better in my sleep son..get ur act together and show me that u have general interest inthis subject and that u didnt copy this from a book or a sheet which ur careers advisor probably gave u!

Comment by guest at 14:13 9/05/2007

this statement is 2 reheresed and sounds like the write isjus trying to make things up which would impress the reader surely a more honest statement would go down better?!?

Comment by guest at 08:38 2/07/2007

wadup man dis is a gd personal statment i was looking for a gd 1 to help me with me with my one and dw iam not gonna copy it but i got a gd lk at how a gd ps should be

Horrible by guest at 20:37 16/08/2007

This is horrible. Do you people read admissions websites. This will get rejected. They don't care about your past when you were a little boy. They want to hear about your college years. Every sentence should mean something, and this was just a bunch of bologna.

Comment by guest at 10:17 14/09/2007

this was quite a good personal statement i found it very useful

Comment by guest at 12:13 18/09/2007

one of the hardest

What the? by guest at 09:22 20/09/2007

I do not understand why everyone is going off it with this PS. It is obvisouly good or else all of the universities would not have made an offer would they??

Comment by guest at 10:21 22/10/2007

Great personal statement. thank yuour for giving me an idea on how to do mines.!!!

Very interesting by guest at 09:45 31/10/2007

very nice!! i really enjoy reading your personal statment and it helped me alot to write my personal statment. GOOD KEEP IT UP!!! ALL BEST WISHES FOR U 4RM SIMRAN

cheers ^_* by guest at 07:19 2/11/2007

its was such a nice statement...thank you...it has been of great help to me

Thanks by guest at 18:23 6/11/2007

Very nicely done. Just wanted to say thanks because you've just helped me write mine as I didn't know where to start.

Comment by guest at 21:26 29/11/2007

sounds too forced and tries hard to be the stereotypical computing essay. lacks depth. a person who wasn't doing computing a levels or knows nothing about it could have written the same kind of essay.

Comment by guest at 19:55 8/12/2007

I am so much overwhelmed by your interesting and inspiring Personal Statement on computer science. I love it.

Dwumfour's Applauds by guest at 20:02 8/12/2007

I could not afford to stop reading your all inspiring and motivating Personal Statement on Computer Science. You've really giving me a wonderful beginning I never thought of.Great Job.

Comment by guest at 15:58 1/04/2008

this really heleped me!thanks a lot :) really good statement

Humm by guest at 03:16 6/07/2008

Humm not bad not bad

Spectacular by guest at 19:26 23/08/2008

Never in all my years have I been so amazed. This personal statement is truely a work of art. Absolutely super.

Comment by AshleyP at 2008-09-21 20:52:29

Wow, every uni you've put here (excluding cambridge) is what im applying for. How have you found york and its courses?

Borat by guest at 08:57 10/11/2008

this my personal statement its very nice why you copy it i like you whats your name we could be friends

[X]erver Killah!{} by guest at 10:17 17/11/2008

Thankyou for this, it has guided me through the structure well, good luck

Good PS there man!!!!!!!!!!!!! by guest at 12:42 17/11/2008

I have spent a few minutes looking for samples of personal statements but this beats all I have seen and it is really helping me in writing mine .

its good by guest at 23:38 19/11/2008

i wish this was my work ,the PS is the best so far,its worth more than an admission.keep it up

Comment by guest at 20:03 2/01/2009

you obvioulsy love yourself

Comment by guest at 01:08 27/05/2009

wow i'm so impressed dis is good

usefull by guest at 15:04 9/10/2009

I've just read your PS and surprised how you could mixed all these things and organized them perfectly to showing us a great story to enjoy thanks alot and good luck

Comment by guest at 18:12 14/10/2009

waaaaaay to cheesy

Comment by guest at 15:11 19/10/2009

i like CHEESE

Comment by guest at 11:55 10/11/2009

It does sound impressive. Yet at the same time it lacks computer science, which involves a lot of maths. It sounds like you're applying for a course involving computer engineering

Comment by guest at 15:42 7/01/2010

Excellent statement, thanks for the inspiration. I have long had difficulty in decided how to start my PS.

leem101 by guest at 15:42 7/01/2010

Comment by guest at 18:28 8/10/2010

very nice

ipads by guest at 21:04 15/10/2010

posh nosh bish bosh much ?

Personal Statement by guest at 02:26 8/01/2011

Nice to see an entusiastic wrong en with a computer fetish on such a cracking website

great work by guest at 19:08 25/04/2011

Excellent start point

great work by guest at 19:12 25/04/2011

Excellent start point

Comment by guest at 16:03 8/05/2011

excellent brilliant it's much help of mine to write my own personal statement.

Super good by guest at 22:15 12/09/2011

This ps was amazing, thanks for letting me use it for mine. Im sure to get in with this!

Comment by guest at 12:15 2/11/2011

excellent ps. The passion for the subject have been keenly expressed. If u are honest with what you have said then you should definitely get a place at the university. "GOOD LUCK"

What Grades did you get, by guest at 01:53 9/01/2012

What A-level grades and as grades did you achieve. who ever wrote this personal statement

not so long by guest at 11:08 14/02/2012

You are obviously interested in the subject area, but you could have done it much more concisely. With 100's of application to read, admissions aren't looking for your life's history. A short and to the point statement will work as well if not better.

hdLyFdqAfc by guest at 21:54 20/03/2012

Major thanks for the blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Will read on...

Oh Yeah!!! by guest at 09:30 21/05/2012

First!!!

ROSS VICTOR GRIFFITHS by guest at 02:13 25/05/2012

ROSS VICTOR GRIFFITHS. BASILDON. LOOK ME UP.

Great by guest at 13:17 10/10/2012

You sound like a great, awsome(sad) person give me your life and PPL

Snore by guest at 18:41 25/10/2012

Competent but standard, bland and boring. Admissions tutors receive hundreds of applications like this daily and this does not stand out from the crowd at all. It is, in fact, more of an archetype for a run of the mill application, encapsulating everything that everyone else will have included in theirs. Small wonder Cambridge declined you. You must be different.

Decent by guest at 10:58 21/06/2013

needs more talk about i9 clocked to 18 gigahertz

CynrLuGsxz by guest at 16:36 2/08/2013

Im thankful for the blog post.Thanks Again. Awesome.

Comment by guest at 12:50 25/09/2013

NERD! no really well done bro

Comment by Bunny Sunny at 2013-09-30 17:57:32

Wow! An Awesome Personal Statement! =)

LEEROOOYYY JENKIINNSSS by guest at 14:29 10/12/2013

░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░ ░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░ ░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░ ░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░█░░ ░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░░█░ █░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒░█ █░▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▀▄▒█ ░█░▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░█░░█░ ░░█░░░▀▄▀█▄▄░█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀█▀██░█░░ ░░░█░░░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄████░█░░░ ░░░░█░░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░█▀██████░█░░ ░░░░░▀▄░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█░░ ░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░█░ ░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░█░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░█░░

Nice by guest at 12:08 8/07/2014

pretty sick m8 i r8 8/8 top kek