Child Nursing Personal Statement Example 1

Child nursing is a very challenging and demanding career, however the rewards would be amazing and I am ready to embark on this career. Nursing has always been a desire of mine.

Ever since a young girl, when being asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, my response was to be a children’s nurse and to help others.

The devotion and humanity of child nurses who go further than just treating young patients, but genuinely wanting to make them happy and as comfortable as possible in difficult times is truly inspiring.

This is the main reason why I am immensely inspired to train in this field giving my unsurpassed help to young people who depend on us.

Studying Health and Social Care throughout College has made me realise that nursing is much more than a profession, it is a way of life, which includes life-long learning.

Understanding this takes qualities such as being dedicated, intuitive, reassuring, possessing excellent communication skills, the ability to play sensitively with a child and being confident when handling the distress of parents. In addition to this you must also be reliable, trusting, able to develop relationships, be interactive, compassionate, motivated, ambitious and hardworking.

I believe I possess these qualities and will develop further knowledge, skills and abilities, over the 3 years of study, whilst working to the highest standard.

My course has given me the opportunity to gain new and exciting knowledge from each of the diverse units we have studied.

While studying anatomy and physiology, I increasing became more interested in science, I have always been intrigued by science while in school but it was working with my tutor who is a doctor that really made me become engrossed in the subject.

Studying the human body about different bones, muscles and our main tissues such as ‘Epithelia’ has proven to be an exhilarating experience. I now have a range of knowledge on how our body works, for instance, the digestive system, cardiovascular system and the central nervous system.

Studying effective communication will help me in child nursing since it is vitally important to be able to communicate with young children, parents, guardians and other health professionals by working in a multidisciplinary team providing the best care for the patient. I fully understand child nursing will not be a glamorous job.

I will be working long hours, shift work and on public holidays, however, as long as I am making a positive difference to the experience of a child in hospital I would happily work all day, every day.

It is important to understand there will be barriers when working with sick children, for example, if a teenager found it difficult to talk about their experience or is scared of the consequences of asking for help. It is important to talk to the child informally making sure you are not talking to the individual as a sick patient but as a child who is scared to ask for help.

By gaining their trust it will become easier for the child to open up to you, meaning treatment or recovery would be as effective as possible. Overcoming this barrier will hopefully result with them gradually processing into a healthier state physically and emotionally.

I gained much communication skills when I was a part of my youth centre where I participated in team challenges.

I also learned communication skills while working in a nursery. My proudest achievement was working with severely mentally disabled college student; this really was a memorable life changing experience.

Achieving first aid training, learning how to carry out CPR, the recovery position and applying bandages filled me with pride.

Overall I believe I am right for this course I am very much a people person, easy going and very approachable, I can also cope in a variety of situations, I always try my hardest as I am highly energetic and self-motivated.

I can not wait to take the next step to achieve my dream.

This personal statement was written by dmurray22 for application in 2014.