Adult Nursing Personal Statement Example 23

I have chosen to apply for Adult Nursing as it the one profession that offers the opportunity to make such a profound difference to the lives of people who truly need and appreciate it. I have carried out research on the job role and requirements for nursing.

I understand that nursing can be a demanding yet very rewarding profession for dependable, reliable, devoted people who are able to develop a relationship with patients. I believe that I possess the skill and ability to greatly contribute to the success and stability of healthcare institutions and to the mental and physical well-being of patients by helping them at their most vulnerable time.

My main source of inspiration to become a nurse comes from an innate desire to help people and care for them in times of need. I have developed a passion for care as I have been involved in caring for a relative with additional support needs. I spend time with him during the weekend to relieve his guardian and during this period I support and carry out activities with him such as going to the park where I get him to interact with other children his age.

This has greatly improved my communication skills as I had to learn how to use body language to communicate with him. This experience has allowed me to demonstrate personal skills such as patience, understanding and listening skills, which helped further my desire to study nursing.

With my keen interest in Human Biology, I especially relished studying Physiology and Health. I look forward to enhancing my expertise in Science which in turn will help me when studying for nursing. Studying Maths and Computing Science at Higher level has improved my acute logical thinking and problem-solving abilities, as I have learned to process and interpret information effectively.

I am also working towards the Caritas Award which involves volunteering within the local community. Through this, I have demonstrated my ability to work as part of a team to achieve set goals. I am also involved in the school Buddying Scheme where I have been paired with younger students who are struggling in different aspects of life.

Through this, I have been able to demonstrate my leadership skills and interpersonal communication ability, which are skills that will be transferable to nursing. In preparation for university, I participated in the Top-Up Programme to further enhance my study skills in order to become a successful university student.

Also, I work during the weekend in catering for events, where I get to meet and talk to different people from a wide range of backgrounds. I have taken part in the Career Ready programme in S5 and S6, in which I completed a four-week internship during the summer holidays with Glasgow City Council as part of social work services. This involved supporting staff within adult services and necessitated liaising with NHS staff within addiction services.

From my work experience at Glasgow City Council, I developed good teamwork, flexibility and problem-solving skills. I have had the opportunity to network with people in education, health, social work, senior managers and to communicate and get involved with professionals at different organisations.

Through this work, I gained an understanding of how different services work in partnership for better and quicker outcomes, such as the integration of health and social services. My career aspiration has been influenced by this, where I'm motivated to improve patients' safety and effectiveness of treatment by improving their safety and efficiency.

In my spare time, I enjoy playing puzzle games and this has allowed me to develop vital critical thinking skills within a logical context. I am confident of embracing this challenge as I would work to the best of my ability due to my empathetic and caring nature which I believe are important qualities required in nursing.

To conclude, I believe I am well suited to pursuing a career in nursing and will study hard to ensure I am successful in achieving my career goal.

This personal statement was used to apply to the following universities; Glasgow Caledonian University, the University of West of Scotland, Robert Gordon University, University of Dundee and Stirling.