Sound Design/Music Tech Personal Statement Example

My interest in music was sparked at an early age, while coming across a biopic of a 50's rock star. The music had energy, feel, and beautiful melodies whilst still being tremendously simple. It instantly grabbed my imagination and from that moment on I was transfixed with music.

While attending Secondary school I really started to nurture my skills and expand on my knowledge of music. I frequently attended music clubs, for example instrument lessons and extra curricular study weeks. I had various opportunities to work with great musicians and visual artists. I was also lucky enough to work alongside the Birmingham Royal Ballet to produce an original musical dance display, incorporating art, dance, music and pyrotechnics.

Appreciation of music carried on throughout my school years which led me on to study a BTEC Sound Engineering and Music Technology course. Thoroughly enjoying the course I Developed skills in various different mediums such as: sound manipulation, computer music technology, midi sequencing, recording techniques, live sound and sound for film and television.
Learning these new characteristics of sound broadened my scope of career possibilities, and I started to become increasingly interested in how sound is used for the media.
This led me on to sound design.

Apart from music my interests are reading, poetry, skateboarding, jogging, meditation and cinema.
I'm an enthusiastic, highly driven, motivated person who is keen on self progression.
Living independently for almost 3 years has gained me such valid skills as good organisation and time management skills.
I also gained various different skills at my previous job as a Printing Assistant. My job was to design and make various different promotional products. I gained valuable experience working to a time frame and working as a team member. I was also left from time to time to solely run the business. This enabled me to learn to multitask and think on my feet.
All of these acquired skills will in someway complement my studies.

To study a degree in sound will mean I can further nurture and expand my musical and creative abilities. I'm excited and enthused at the idea of creating original sounds to use in different Medias, to complement such work as film and art.
I will be forever motivated and passionate about my work and consistently strive to excel. I believe with my motivation and acquired talents I would be well suited to this course.

This personal statement was written by boxfreshpidge for application in 2000.

boxfreshpidge's Comments

Personal statement for '09. already recieved one Unconditional offer and have 2 interviews set-up.

I applied for;

London college of arts
Thames valley Uni
Middlesex uni
Rose Bruford college
South bank university

tell me what you think. hope this helps some people because i found none on this subject.