Artificial Intelligence Personal Statement Example

Growing up in the golden age of technology, I have witnessed as technological advancements have shaped our lives. From allowing physically challenged people to run, to catalysing medical breakthroughs, and letting people who were born without the ability to hear, listen to "four seasons" by Vivaldi for the first time in their lives. Technology has truly changed what it means to be human.

Even though modern advancements have provided us with the luxury to travel in autonomous vehicles or to produce robots that work for us, today we are faced with one of the biggest challenges of this century. How do we distribute the wealth created by machines? How do we formulate the moral decisions a driverless car might have to resort to?

Scientists, today, are striving to find answers to these questions, and I am not going to stand by and watch from the sidelines. I want to immerse myself in scientific research and help improve the world we live in. To achieve this, I plan to pursue a degree in computer sciences at university.

I have always been fascinated by STEM subjects, as they allow me to understand and explore the workings of our world in greater detail. In A-Level physics, I studied intricate theories and laws of nature; modules related to light were especially fascinating as I learned about the dual-nature of light and the properties that allow it to be used as a medium to transfer data (in Fiber Optics).

While exploring topics related to electricity, I grasped the workings of electrons in transferring current and learned the effects of resistance. In practical component of the subject, I applied my knowledge to maximise the efficiency of various circuits and projects. Computer programming and machine learning are one of the major reasons for my interest in artificial intelligence.

To satiate this interest, I opted for mathematics and additional mathematics subjects. These courses have enabled me to solve and optimise sets of linear equations, an integral part of computer science, and have polished my problem-solving skills.

I can see myself using these concepts to program and design correct algorithms. Moreover, by exploring the statistics vector of the subject, I have developed integral data analysis and reasoning skills and feel confident about transferring my expertise in the subject to future projects.

Outside classroom, various clubs and extra-curricular activities have promoted my holistic growth. Summer internship at Tihami Studios Lahore has helped me enhance my command on Java.

Working with a team, I designed the User Interface of an android game and mapped out its controls. To say that it was an exhilarating experience would be a gross understatement, and to say it only deepened my desire to do more, even more so.

Additionally, I won the prestigious LSU app development competition. For my submission, I developed a virtual choreographer.

The main focus of my project was to find a common ground between music and dance and then use artificial intelligence to mimic the creativity of a real life dancer.

By integrating A.I. with available data of human choreographers, I ensured that the dances produced by the app were not only humanly-possible but also in sync with the beats of the provided audio file.

My school course-work and life experiences have prepared me for research opportunities that I find in the diverse field of computer science.

To delve further into this penchant, I want to study in an environment that is diverse and intellectually challenging. The United Kingdom is at the forefront of academic study and research in the global headquarters of world renowned technological giants.

I believe that a degree from England will arm me with the requisite knowledge, an international network of like-minded people and the exposure to refine my skills to become a future computer scientist.