Archaeology and Museum Studies Personal Statement Example

What fascinates me the most about archaeology is how easily it nowadays allows us to find out more about the past.

Just the fact that carbon dating technology can tell us almost the exact age of an object is amazing. Studying archaeology and museology at Umea University has allowed me to get a deeper insight into the field. It has also made me want to study the subject further and at an international level.

I find that the United Kingdom has a such an interesting and versatile ancient history which is why I have chosen to apply to universities here.

Through my previous studies I have gained extensive research skills as well as a great understanding of English as a majority of my literature was in English. As a part of my museology course I did seven weeks of work experience at the Silver Museum in Arjeplog.

During my time there I learnt the basics of how a museum operates. I helped putting up an exhibition,receiving and cataloguing new objects which was all great fun. The Silver Museum is a very small museum with few staff members which meant that I got a deeper look into the departmentsand even some of the scientific research. During these weeks I was also offered a part-time job as a museum assistant.

I enjoy historical role-playing and re-enactment as one of my hobbies. It allows me to experience and further understand what it really could have been like to live in the past by wearing the clothes and eating the food of the specific era. After my studies I am hoping to become a field archaeologist as well as museum based.

This personal statement was written by wizzosis for application in 2012.

wizzosis's Comments

I've applied for several courses in archaeology and museum studies for 2012 (which is what I have a foundation degree in from my uni in sweden) The Uni I'm hoping to get into is Trinity Saint David in Wales.

Personally I'm rather pleased with this statement even though it's fairly short. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Keep in mind though that my first language is Swedish and not English.

This is a terrible personal

This is a terrible personal statement. Did you get into a University? Wow.