Accounting Personal Statement Example 1

My world is populated by numbers. Numbers are the most powerful tool for good and I see myself as someone who can wield these numbers. That is why accountancy is the only option, in my opinion, to study at university.

Without accountancy, decision making would be performed blindly and con artists would run riot on even the most established company; without rigorous accounting practices the economy would be in jeopardy.

I once thought money was the root of all evil, but in fact it is the lack of knowledge on the subject that poses more of a threat; which is another reason why accountancy is the subject I intend to learn.

To prepare myself for the field of accounting I have begun to read into topics outside the syllabus. Keeping up with the business news through the Guardian and BBC news website, my interest in the field grew.

I was especially interested in reading the J P Morgan mortgage scandal. Books such as 'How to win friends and influence people' by Dale Carnegie, taught me the importance of handling people to succeed in the business world, 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' byRobert T Kiyosaki taught me how I can reach financial freedom using accounting concepts.

I feel taking English Language and Literature has been the benefactor of my now ever increasing interest in accounting through reading. I first started to read books such as 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'The Great Gatsby' but then my thirst for reading lead me to my first business related book, 'Think and Grow Rich' by Napoleon Hill.

Furthermore, it has enhanced my written skills and helped me become clearer in report and advisory questions in accounting.

A level Mathematics has enhanced my problem solving skills tenfold. I now look at problems at all different angles and examine the fine details that trigger ideas that allow me to conclude the problem at hand.

Media has also been a valuable subject. I now appreciate the affects that the media can have on companies and I am more aware of what people want which are both major actors when making financial decisions; such as how the public may view supplying products to a corrupt government and what affect it may have on profit.

My part time job on checkouts at my local supermarket has been one of my most thought-provoking ventures to date. I have learnt lessons in confidence, time keeping, motivation and customer service. Constantly I am forced to think on my feet and use my initiative in all types of situations.

By keeping a strict self-imposed schedule I have managed to cope with the pressures of work and school but at the same time enjoy my social life. This job has definitely helped me ready myself for the challenges I will face at university.

Acting has played a big role in my life. It has moulded my personality and is the cornerstone of my confidence. I have attended multiple drama schools and appeared in various performances for each of them; including a lead role in which I played an evil old lady trying to seduce the prince.

Also, I have been an extra in various films such as, 'My Brother the Devil' and appeared in music videos such as, Mr Hudson's 'Love Never Dies'.

The martial art, Shotokan Karate, is something I have dedicated myself to for six years. During this time I have achieved a brown belt. I have participated in many competitions and the experience has taught me discipline, control and has strengthened me as a person.

Football is another hobby of mine. I have played for a Sunday league team and currently play for a five-a-side team every week.

I hope I can have the opportunity to be part of your university. Accounting is a subject I enjoy and very keen on exploring in more depth; enjoying the university lifestyle is something I cannot wait to experience.

This personal statement was written by MiLewis for application in 2014.

MiLewis's university choices
The University of Kent
University of East Anglia
University of Exeter
University of Portsmouth
Middlesex University

MiLewis's Comments

This is my final draft of my personal statement that I wanted to share with you lovely people :)

For Your Information: I failed my first year and am predicted a BCC.

tthank you so much this

tthank you so much this helped me a lot b! x