Philosophy Personal Statement Example 17

Human beings naturally possess desire; the desire to be inquisitive, the desire to ask and answer questions. Philosophy allows us to do this. Philosophy focuses on areas of real life that are often overlooked. Unlike other subjects, it is so flexible and permits one to explore the phenomenal world critically and question the existence of the nominal. It seems almost that while answering one question you tend to obtain so many more questions and even more Answers. This makes me passionate about philosophy. Philosophy begins in wonder and it's from one thought you can produce a range of concepts helping to gain meaning about the issues that occur in contemporary society. My sense of anticipation and eagerness to be involved in the subject is what would make me not only an ideal student but also gratifying to teach.

When visiting Thailand this year, I quickly became acquainted with the difference in culture and views towards religion and life. They place much higher values on life and believe that by being more aware of death it actually brings greater appreciation to life, unlike western cultures who try to prolong life as we are afraid. This further signified the way personal belief can be so greatly influenced by society and I began questioning my own belief in regard to this. I want to travel and learn more about personal belief as a collective whole and within in this explore my spiritual understanding. Philosophy is the opportunity to go beyond
the predefined constraints of society and understand more collectively about the world.

My ambition is to become a successful, inspiring philosophy teacher and to do this one must have genuine excitement about the subject they teach in order to stimulate their students and
spark the same sense of enthusiasm they too hold. Studying Philosophy and Ethics has not only initiated interest in the subject but also prepared me with the proper skills that I need from logical thinking to being able to analyse different texts in intense detail. From studying English Literature, I've developed essay writing and close reading skills and have learnt good time keeping meeting essay deadlines. Geography has taught me about various social, economic and political world issues. Sociology has also taught me a vast amount in regards to politics, which is important as we live in a democratic society and we should have an interest in this as not everyone has the same opportunity.

I see myself as a passionate human rights supporter, actively taking part in The Amnesty International Society within my sixth form, thus allowing me to enhance my debating skills and also allowing others to broaden my own opinion on world issues such as the ban of abortion in El Salvador. The meaning of life and death can vary cross culturally; in El Salvador women are imprisoned for having miscarriages, differently to the UK where women have full access to abortion.

I am also actively involved in volunteering. Within school I have volunteered my time to helping students in lower years with their own study; this enhancing both my own and their
learning. Beyond school I spend a lot of time working with children disabilities, which I think has greater exceeded my own social understanding and also displays my own personal dedication.

In order to be successful in philosophy and to achieve well, one needs to be highly disciplined as the 'out of lecture' independent study is a large proportion of the degree. Attending open days and completing MOOC's online like 'Religion and Conflict', I gained further interest in the subject which influenced my direction of debate regarding my EPQ. I believe passion is a trait one must uphold in order to be successful and to excel in what you do. Through my extra reading of philosophical works (including Descartes Meditations) and through keeping current in recent philosophical revolutions by attending philosophy lectures,my passion is and will remain vital throughout the course.

I obtained 5 offers using this statement:
4 conditional offers at Leeds, UEA,Keele and Essex
1 unconditional offer at Anglia Ruskin.

I hope this helps someone some how!