Philosophy Personal Statement Example 9

The word philosophy originates from the ancient Greek word philosophia meaning love of knowledge. A year on from my first lesson and I find myself in love with knowledge. What is good? What is identity?, determinism or indeterminism?, dualism or materialism?.

I am often caught up in heated debates with my friend, who is a firm atheist, defending the design argument or criticizing materialism. What started as curiosity quickly became a hobby and within a few weeks of starting philosophy and ethics I had found myself reading Totem and taboo and after the selfish gene.

For the first time in my life I enjoyed writing coursework, I wrote the entire 2,000 word essay from scratch a week after it was set and received an A for my labor of love.

I am currently studying Psychology, Economics and Philosophy and ethics for my a-levels and have enjoyed aspects of all three, I enjoy applying economic theories to the real world and how the economy copes with various setbacks, I have been interested in the human mind for as long as I can remember, I always analyze peoples reaction upon being told sad news, or a joke, and so, understandably I expected psychology to be my favorite subject at a-level. I was wrong. I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a subject as much as I have philosophy and ethics.

Despite my love of philosophy I had some trouble choosing a university degree that I was happy with, whereas I knew that I would love to do philosophy at university, here would it lead to? My parents suggested that I do psychology instead as it leads into a job more readily than philosophy. But after weeks of deliberation I finally decided that I would be disappointed if I didnt take this opportunity presented to me.

I have an intense interest in music and have over the last few months I have been teaching myself guitar and hope to start learning bass guitar after Christmas. I have done volunteer work at Oriel High, redecorating the animal care workshop and helping with summer school project for a deprived area. And am currently looking into being involved in the local Duke of Edinburgh group.

This personal statement was written by Kieron2001 for application in 2009.

Kieron2001's Comments

My first completed copy of personal statement...still needs some tweaking and a bit of body fat also an ending is currently in the making...,but please leave me some feedback cos it'd be helpful :D

note " and ' have been removed as they cause the weird Aa~&&Aa~ things you see on personal statements on here

writer of persnal staement

I agree with you guys its been thru serious editing and is now almost twice as long.