Natural Sciences Personal Statement Example 7

Science has no boundaries. From the air we breathe, to the plastic bags we pollute the ocean with, science explains and explores every aspect of life. The far-reaching and ever-developing scientific community cannot be contained merely within the classifications of “Biology”, “Chemistry” and “Physics”. It is for this reason that I could never imagine limiting myself to only one strain of science, making natural science the… natural choice.

At first, I took biology (Which I affectionately call biolology) because I was interested in how kidneys work. The kidneys are a fascinating organ, with a complex network of nephrons that allow toxins to be removed from the blood and you can be cleansed. Sometimes I wish there were nephrons for humans, so I can cleanse all the bad people from my life. Now, I realise that biololology is so much more than just kidneys, it explores lungs too! Taking biology at AS Level has taught me a great number of skills (5 to be precise). The first of which being that it has gifted me with the ability to look, observe, see, and glimpse. The subject requires a lot of observation and a keen eye, in order to gather and interpret data. Throughout the year, I have been exposed to many different methods of data organisation, which has given me an appreciation for the varied topics we explore. Through this, I believe that my understanding of the world has been broadened and I have managed to experience a broad range of culture (bacterial culture that is) - there was even an indian in my class.

Chemistry (the worst science), offers a new view of the world that is less explored in Biolology (the far superior science), as we look at the world through a (microscope) lens that offers a more focused view. Chemistry has offered me understanding of science on a molecular scale, providing a foundation on which I have been able to build my scientific knowledge and understanding. Much like a house (with each brick representing a piece of knowledge), my understanding of science has taken years to build and is incredibly expensive to maintain. The fridge may be broken, and the faucet may leak on Wednesdays, but it does the job. My knowledge house is continuously growing, with additions like a second bedroom and an extension in progress as I make my way through my A2 Course.

At Advanced Subsidiary Level, I also made the choice to study French. Though this does not scream the choice of a science student, as subjects are unable to scream because they are abstract concepts and not living breathing organisms, French has helped me develop my knowledge in many ways. For example, when I listen to songs such as Lady Marmalade, I am able to understand the french phrase she uses (voulez-vous coucher avec moi c’est soir), which has really helped me to strengthen my knowledge of the song and unlock its deeper meaning. Turns out, it’s not about toast. À mon avis, le francais est très important pour le monde en développement. C’est vraiment utile pour communications avec des gens francais. Aussi, je l’utilise quand je ne veux pas parler avec mes amis qui je n’aime pas.

I really enjoy Maths; I relish in the opportunity to learn, mustard in the problem solving it requires, and ketchup in the immense satisfaction I feel when I successfully use an equation. As a logical subject, I believe it really condiments my study of the sciences. This past year of maths has really strengthened, improved and nourished my understanding of the numbers. I am competently able to add, subtract and multiply. Studying Maths at A Level has given me an appreciation for all of the subjects that I study - the study of numbers really connects with scientific study and studies in Biology, as well as Chemistry.

To further explore my interest in the biological field, I took up the hobby of embroidery, in order to improve my dexterity (important when carefully handling microscope slides) and patience (important for waiting for my experiments to work). Embroidery has given me an appreciation for the finer things in life, shining light on so many aspects of life that we take for granted. The intricate nature of this hobby lends itself to my interest in natural science, as, like science, its is hugely complex. However, I do not allow myself to be pinned down to only one hobby, just as I cannot be sewn into one science. I also enjoy, when I can find time between croquet matches and mahjong championships, learning arabic. I find the fluidity of the language to be a nice escape from all of my responsibilities. Some of the curls in the arabic language resemble hearts, reminding me of my love for biology and cardiovascular science.

I am looking forward to study natural sciences at Oxford University, I feel that it would really benefit me, and, by extension, society, by putting my skills into the workforce. I am also friendly and kind.

I feel like it's pretty good, I mean, the universities seemed to like it (I got offers from Cambridge, Durham, UCL and Hull)