History Personal Statement Example 2

I am captivated by the diversity and depth offered by a History degree; attracted by the way it encourages us to be analytical of the values and patterns of past societies. It was in my final year of secondary school that I was awarded the History Attainment Award, although my desire to study History dates back to an earlier age when I visited the site of the allied landings in Normandy at just eleven years old. I had always been interested in the past - fascinated by the mythology and history of Ancient Rome and Greece - however, it was when I saw the sites of the historical events I had studied that History became more than just a subject I had to study but something which intrigued me and I wanted to take on to degree level.

I feel the A-Levels I study have a number of transferable skills aiding the study of History. My Archaeology coursework – on Anglo-Saxon burhs – requires in depth research within varied resources and my Biology course has taught me to improve my analytical and evaluative skills. The A-level English Literature course has proven to be equally dynamic, and thinking as a historian, I have found the portrayal of attitudes and values presented within texts to be as important as the narrative. Furthermore, through my archaeological studies I will be gaining invaluable hands-on experience by working with Channel Four’s ‘Time Team’ and helping with the excavations of an archaeological site near Taunton.

Within the A-Level syllabus, I thoroughly enjoyed the study of the Cold War, in particular the relationship between Great Britain, America and the Soviet Union. Moreover, I have found Ian Kershaw’s work concerning Hitler and his leadership of the Third Reich to be the most influential on my ideas and am interested in the opportunity of extending my History studies by perhaps sitting the Advanced Extension Award next summer. I am eager to explore a wider view of History, as my interests are not limited to the twentieth century and in particular, am looking forward to the options of studying the Ancient, Medieval and Early Modern epochs too.

In addition to my avid enjoyment of History, I feel that my hardworking and dedicated nature prepares me well for the challenges and discipline required for success at degree level. Outside of college I work on a part time basis for W H Smiths which has helped put into practice skills that I have learnt at college, such as numeracy, as well as learning new skills such as customer care and improving my communication skills. In my free time I am also keen to remain physically fit and as a swimmer, train on a weekly basis with Taunton Swimming Club.

I am currently contemplating a number of career options. I have been involved with ‘Vo!ce24-7’ magazine since its conception three years ago. Initially beginning work as a journalist, I now enjoy my role as Editor of the publication. Written and produced by 11-18 year olds, it has grown to a print run of 10,000 and is distributed free to teenagers through schools and public buildings across the borough.

My work experience at ‘The Somerset County Gazette’ allowed me to gain further experience all aspects of newspaper production and at the end of a demanding week it was rewarding to see my articles published in the newspaper and its sister newspapers. This taster, alongside my involvement with ‘Vo!ce24-7’ magazine, has sparked an especial interest in the media and marketing, although I believe a History degree will stand me in good stead in whatever professional career I choose to follow.

This personal statement was written by charlordy for application in 2003.

charlordy's university choices
University of Bristol
The University of Durham
Cambridge University
The University of Warwick
The University of Nottingham

hodge

good!thanks!

Although you've brought

Although you've brought attention to your enjoyment of the A level course it doesn't seem to me that you've read wider on your subject. The rest is good though.

I think it's good and has

I think it's good and has helped with what to leave out of mine, which is quite full of wordy lists at the moment. However, I do hope that the first person to leave a comment did mean "fewer lines" rather than "less lines" ... sorry but this is a grammatical fanaticist typing here!

'Hitler and his leadership of

'Hitler and his leadership of the Third Reich to be the most influential on my ideas'

lolwut

average

average

So what do you write if you

So what do you write if you're not a pretentious wanker with ridiculous middle class opportunities