Graphics/Illustration Personal Statement Example

Studying a foundation in Art and Design has given me a better insight into what path I want to follow in the future. I have always been interested in creating graphic designs using computer software, but I am now finding that using traditional means are just as enjoyable, if not more rewarding. In my work i draw inspiration from my past and present life experiences. I find this is a good way to express myself and my ideas. I often draw inspiration from the daily happenings of things around me, such as humorous conversations I hear throughout the day, interesting architecture and stories in the newspaper. I enjoy being creative and I view Art as a natural way for me to express myself.

After completing a BTEC in Graphic Design, I worked voluntarily at a local publishers that were willing to offer me a temporary work placement designing book covers and learning about the industry. I learnt the values of team work, meeting deadlines, working on my own initiative, and about the various Graphic programmes used such as In Design, Photoshop, and Illustrator. After a few months working there I was given more and more freedom, working with clients to design book covers, posters, business cards and invitations. I learned a lot about the influence of type and image in enhancing visual communication. It was very rewarding to see my work in print, and made me believe even more that this is what I wanted to do. However, I wanted to push myself further and learn more, which led me to the decision to take on an Art Foundation course.

The foundation course allowed me to experiment with different media, and bring out more of my creative side. I was drawn to this course because it offered more freedom. Throughout my time here I have realised that I am also very fond of illustration. I am excited to try out new techniques and different ways in which I can illustrate and put across ideas. I have also had the chance to use traditional techniques while on the course rather than just using the computer. I have developed a new interest in photography, both digital and with film.

I am very influenced by the works of Russel Fei, a children's illustrator from Japan, he is often inspired by dreams and creates beautiful unique, fantasy worlds using a mixture of ink, print and photoshop. I have also started a dream diary which I am hoping to take ideas for my own work.

In my spare time I enjoy reading horror novels and thrillers, these often give me inspiration for illustrations and design. I love visiting art galleries and exhibitions, after visiting the Tate Gallery in Liverpool, the Josh Kirby exhibition caught my attention in particular. He was the original Discworld illustrator and really brought Terry Pratchett's ideas to life.

Studying Graphic Design and Illustration at university will develop my skills, help develop a more individual style of illustrating and designing, and also help to build a strong, individual portfolio leading to a successful career.

This personal statement was written by Shellie2010 for application in 2011.

fxaLopMyVF

Looking forward to reading more. Great blog. Great.

gMfQftaRx

Great blog.Really thank you! Really Cool.