Fashion Personal Statement Example 2

Like Maria Grazia Chiuri, my enthusiasm for fashion began as an adolescent trying to figure out who I am. When Chiuri said 'I would mix it all together, probably because I was looking for my identity' I found this described my situation perfectly. I saw accessories representing different aspects of myself that I chose to express, or patterns and materials reminiscent of rich cultures through which I am bound by my own dual nationality. I realised that through fashion, expression of individualism and identity is possible, which empowers me in a society where I can often feel lost in a crowd.

My interest in fashion escalated after visiting Kyoto as I further grasped how the globalisation of fashion has found nations clutching at their culture through dress. I was exposed to a plethora of styles from traditional kimonos to muted culottes and maxi coats which allowed me to recognise where inspiration is drawn by designers like Yohji Yamamoto for their collections. Since then I have developed a business plan for my own fashion label, adopting the Japanese design ideal of 'shibumi'- minimalism.

Through studying politics, I have gained an insight into the world of economics and the effect this has on fashion. For instance, I found the decline in Prada profits due to recent terror attacks on Europe insightful as it revealed how Europe's economic uncertainty effects the high fashion industry, which relies on the confidence and material aspirations of their consumers. Furthermore my study of philosophy has aided me in understanding human nature and therefore our innate desire to create art forms and make our thoughts tangible.

This year I undertook the EPQ in order to develop my research skills and better prepare myself for independent study. An analytical and critical approach has been essential as I must fully evaluate arguments and effectively manage my time so as to produce a successful report. Moreover I am in the process of completing my Duke of Edinburgh Gold award after enjoying the process at grade Silver. Although I found the expedition aspect the hardest, it was my favourite as my strong competitive spirit combined with a set objective and motivated team led to lasting friendships and a great sense of accomplishment. During secondary school, I chose to challenge myself by taking on work experience at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre.

Here, I was confronted with people's raw emotions which shocked me initially, but enabled me to grow into a more mature person as I now have the skills necessary to handle stressful situations.

In my spare time, I enjoy persuing an interest in art and fashion by regularly attending exhibitions, the most compelling of which has been Vogue 100: A Century of Style as showcased by Manchester Art Gallery. As a hobbyist photographer, I found this exhibition particularly useful as a catalyst which led me to explore new areas of photography such as portraiture. Furthermore I recently started a blog in which my latest post launched an online dialogue exposing the darker underbelly of the fashion industry, namely the exploitation of vulnerable workers, which gained over 200 views and will now be featured on an online magazine. From this
platform, I gained an understanding of the demands of a fashion student, that is, to be aware of current global issues and the power of social media.

As a member of a generation criticised for being apathetic and uninspired, studying fashion is as pertinent now more than ever as my determination to create something timeless and influential grows stronger. I thrive in spirited surroundings where I can reach my full potential and I am sure that my vision of becoming a major contributor in fashion will be realised through studying at your university. It is here that I will be able to cultivate my creative passions completely and finally realise who I am.

Unsure whether this is any good. Feedback appreciated!