Curriculum & Teaching Personal Statement Example

During my basic and secondary education in Ghana, I met a number of tutors who were dedicated to training students to be critical thinkers and problem solvers. Despite being carried away by the quest to pursue a health-related course due to my interest in science during my secondary education, I later realized that I can guide others to be problem solvers hence my pursuance of a Diploma in Basic Education after my secondary education.

My career objective is to help solve global problems and the introduction to the development of curriculum in Ghana coupled with knowledge on theoretical basis on how teaching and learning is supposed to be, provided the very reason why I should tread on the path of teaching in order to make the aforementioned career objective of mine a reality.

I gained interest in the development of curriculum and a reason to pursue a graduate program in this field because curriculum encompasses how teaching and learning is supposed to be in a country. A well-tailored curriculum is capable of developing problem solvers who can help find lasting solutions to emerging global problems.

After attaining a Diploma in Basic Education from Offinso College of Education, I was employed as a class teacher by the Ghana Education Service. This opportunity widened my scope on how learners should be guided to develop problem solving skills to help curb the numerous problems encountered by my country. It has also given me the opportunity to test the veracity of some teaching and learning theories. I realized that some learning theories needs some form of modification to meet the current educational demands of my country and the world at large.

During my early years in the teaching profession, the objective based curriculum posed a lot of challenges because it failed to develop learners into critical thinking, emphasized very little on collaboration and also lacked the ability to develop learners into critical thinkers. The curriculum was later revised to a standard based one which provided some sort of solutions to the hitches in the previous one but still lacks perpetuity.

A masters degree in curriculum will widen my scope on how classroom activities can be modelled to meet the demands of the people. With Ghana in focus, I seek to have an in-depth knowledge which will equip me with the skill to develop a global curriculum capable of developing problem solver in the world at large.

After three years of teaching, I was admitted by the University of Cape Coast to pursue a Bachelor of Education program. I specialized in the field of science majoring in Biology and had Chemistry as a minor course. I managed to graduate with first class honors and was adjudged the overall best student for the graduating class. These achievements were made possible because of how dedicated and hardworking I am. The aforementioned traits are some are desired by the Memorial University of Newfoundland and that’s the main reason I have decided to pursue a graduate program there if given the opportunity.

Again, a quick glance into the course structure of Memorial University of Newfoundland’s graduate program in Curriculum, teaching and learning studies provided me with a great insight on how the University seeks to train graduates to meet the demands of our ever-evolving world hence my quest to be trained by this prestigious University. I have also decided to opt for a course route with specialty in Science Education.

After completing my graduate degree program, I wish to return to Ghana and assume a role in the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment. The degree will also propel me to work as a curriculum lead in districts across the country. Practically, I will be equipped with new skills if I decide to go back into the classroom as an implementer of the curriculum.

Moreover, the degree will equip me with advanced research skills to embark on action research and also write articles that will add up to the body of knowledge in Curriculum, teaching and learning globally.