Civil Engineering Personal Statement Example 9

Civil engineering is a discipline which is essential in the modern world: roads, bridges, airports, railways, sewage works and power stations all provide the fabric of today's society, and without them the world would be a very different place.

Projects such as these provide direct, tangible benefits to the environment in which we live and can enhance the quality of life of people not only now, but for years to come. It is this opportunity to make a significant contribution to improving the world around me which attracts me to the subject.

I feel that by studying for a degree in civil engineering, I can apply the skills I have learnt in Physics and Maths to a subject which is present and relevant almost everywhere in the world, at the same time as learning new skills and ways of working.

I will also mean that I can play an important part in the key debates currently taking place: the issues of sustainability, energy efficiency and climate change all have to be considered by an engineer when planning and realising a project.

My choice of degree was confirmed when I spent three weeks this July on a work placement with consultants Jacobs. I spent a week in each of the structures, traffic and highways sections, and so I was able to see some of the tasks a professional engineer carries out in different specialisms.

During my time in the office I especially enjoyed assessing a bridge structure, as it meant I could see and practise some of the range of skills needed in civil engineering whilst contributing to a real project. I was particularly pleased that the plan I produced was used in the brief for the maintenance of the bridge.

When I have finished my academic studies next year I will gain more work experience either with Jacobs or another local consultant, and I am looking to secure some sponsorship for the duration of my degree course.

Whilst studying maths at school, I have found that I enjoy solving problems that need an approach which may not be immediately obvious, but which requires persistence and thought to obtain. I especially like modules such as mechanics, which require this approach to be applied to a real life situation.

However, studying French at A level presents me with a completely different challenge, but one which is also rewarding.

I intend to continue this study alongside my degree, as I think that being able to communicate fluently in another language would be an excellent skill to have. It will also mean that I can spend some time studying in France, which will enable me to see a different culture and broaden the range of opportunities available to me.

As well as my academic work, I have completed the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze and Silver Awards, and have completed all but the Physical Recreation section of my Gold Award, which I expect to finish soon.

Since completing the Service section of my Gold Award I have continued to volunteer my time in the League of Friends shop at the local hospital.

I find this satisfying and enjoyable, as I get the opportunity to meet a wide range of people as well as to help out in the local community. I feel that this demonstrates my ability to work well with different types of people and to adapt to different working environments.

Outside school, I play the piano, and also enjoy mountain biking and hill walking. I hope to be able to continue these activities at university, as well as starting some new ones.

I believe that balancing these activities alongside my degree at university will result in an enjoyable experience from which I will benefit, allowing me to ultimately progress into a career which is both important and rewarding.

This personal statement was written by AlanCircus for application in 2000.

AlanCircus's university choices
The University of Manchester
University of Bristol
The University of Sheffield
The University of Nottingham

Well Done

nice one did you go to Cambridge mate?