Biochemistry Personal Statement Example 10

The intricate processes of life are all governed by chemical reactions. Breaking bonds, forming bonds and electrons moving from one entity to another are concepts that have always fascinated me. However, the application of such reactions in living organisms is what has led me towards Biochemistry. Reading it at university will allow me to satisfy my desire to find the answers of many complicated questions humanity has asked itself for generations, but at a molecular level. Due to my inquisitive nature, I crave researching various fields of science. Recently, I have learnt about the sliding filament theory, which is at the base of all our movements. Previously unaware of such in-depth processes, I was astonished by the role of calcium ions. Thus, I investigated electrolytes and their fundamental role in controlling many systems. This led me to appreciate the importance of ion regulations inside organisms.

Studying human behaviour and the particularity of psychopathology has improved my perception of people. My fascination towards mental disorders has driven me to research Schizophrenia for my MPQ, which has helped my academic writing and referencing skills. Furthermore, my perspective of problems and how I unravel them has been greatly influenced by mathematics, which has strengthened my logical and critical thinking. Studying Biology at A-level has been a series of 'Eureka' moments. Learning in detail the composition and structure of the molecules that I have heard of throughout my life has been enthralling; I particularly liked reading about nucleic acids and proteins. Furthermore, writing comprehensive lab reports for practicals, which included a number of diagrams and charts, along with the statistical significance of results has enhanced my analytical skills. My passion for biology has also led me to participate in the Biology Olympiad competition, where I obtained a 'highly recommended'.

I have refined my analytical skills during work experience with Deloitte. Here, I had the opportunity to lead a team and improve a struggling law firm's HR sector by analysing charts and interviewing the head of HR. I then presented a solution in the form of a project to a panel of judges, which won my team the first place.

Due to my deep interest in chemistry, I worked with the lead pharmacist at Boots for three months. It was an eye-opening experience, and the responsibility to ration narcotics for drug-addicts led me to become more scrupulous and accurate while working with chemicals. This experience increased my enthusiasm for the subject whilst sharpening my observational skills. I faced the biggest challenge of my life when in 2013 I moved to England. Leaving everything behind and starting a new life had a strong impact on me, forcing me to mature quickly. I learned the significance of listening to people, and this taught me to be more empathetic towards others. After that, I have always tried to challenge myself by being involved in networking events and by connecting with people. For instance, I fundraised for WildHearts which involved giving a speech about poverty and micro-loans to my sixth-form. Last year I volunteered in three secondary schools, where I improved key skills of communication and leadership by teaching maths to younger students. I helped them to become confident in their abilities and guided them to the correct outcome. I have also enriched my team-work capabilities when I volunteered at St Andrew's youth club. I assisted the staff managing the day-to-day events and overlooked activities myself, where I learned strategies to include everyone.

I am extremely grateful to my parents, who have sacrificed a beautiful life to ensure me a successful education. I am determined to succeed in my career in Biochemistry. I have the confidence to step up to this challenging yet fulfilling course with a set of skills that will benefit me at university.

By Ahad

Offers received - King's college London, Nottingham university, Brunel university.

Still waiting for reply - UCL and Queen Mary university London