Share this page Twitter RSS Facebook

Foundation Degree Courses

Foundation Degrees are vocational courses designed and delivered in partnership with employers to give people the relevant knowledge and skills required for business.

They are offered by universities in partnership with Higher Education colleges and Further Education colleges.

This type of course can be very flexible, which means that they are available to:

  • people already in work 
  • those who would like to make a career change and 

How long is a Foundation Degree?

A full-time course usually takes two years. Part-time courses may take longer, although this is not always the case.

What are the entry requirements for a Foundation Degree?

Universities and colleges set their own entry requirements for each course.

Formal qualifications are not always necessary as commercial and industrial experience can sometimes be more relevant.

It's best to contact the institution you wish to apply to, as some courses may have specific requirements.

How do I apply for a Foundation Degree?

It is a good idea to contact the university or college you are interested in and ask for further information about the course and university/college to make sure it is right for you.

Many universities and colleges have an online prospectus, or you can contact them and ask them to send you one through the post.

The courses on the foundation degree course search section at UCAS also have a course contact telephone number.

If you call them up, this person will be able to provide you with specific information about each course and what it involves.

When you are sure you have found a course you are interested in, the next stage is making your application.

Applying for a part-time Foundation Degree

You will need to apply directly to the university or college offering the foundation degree course.

Each university or college will have their own method of entry, but it is likely that you will have to complete an application form.

Applying for a full-time Foundation Degree

All full-time courses which are taken at a university or college in the UCAS scheme will need to be applied for through UCAS.

You can check if the institution you want to go to is in the UCAS scheme by checking the list of universities and colleges.

If the course is not on the UCAS website, you should apply direct to the university or college offering the course.

You can complete a UCAS application using the Apply system.

The course information required to complete a UCAS application can be found on the Course Search and help will be available throughout the process.