Time: 1 hour
2 oz (50 g) cocoa powder
1 cup (8 fl oz.) boiling water
4 oz (110 g) soft margarine
1 cup (8 oz) 225 g granulated sugar
7 oz (200 g) plain flour, sifted
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1) Preheat the oven to 350‚°F (180‚°C) Gas Mark 4.
2) Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl and slowly pour on the boiling water, stirring until smooth.
3) Leave to cool.
4) Beat together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the eggs.
5) Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder together and fold into the creamed mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture.
6) Pour into a greased, base-lined deep 6 1/2 inch (16 cm) tin and bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
7) Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.