Share this page StumbleUpon Twitter RSS Facebook

Social Science Personal Statement

What makes us human? Are we truly autonomous beings, or are we actually bound tightly by the society and cultural climate that we live in? Or are we, as Satre said, ‘bound to be free?’
I first discovered my interest in the workings of society when I studied the work of social psychologist Philip Zimbardo, as part of my A level Psychology course. From my initial interest, I read Skinner's Box by Lauren Slater which gave me more insight into various aspects of social psychology experiments, and attended a lecture given by Philip Simons on ‘The Psychology of Power’. This gave me greater insight into the notions of power and authority, which is one of my main interests when it comes to sociological studies. In addition to my studies in Psychology, I also study Philosophy and English, both of which have helped me to write well constructed and balanced essays and to think logically about a given problem.
My work experience that I undertook recently has helped me to see the aspects of my subject being used in the real world. I worked for a company called ACB who study the sociological and psychological aspects of Television advertising. During my time, I was required to analyse field data in the form of video evidence and to input it into Microsoft Excel; an experience which has given me experience of raw data handling. This was fortified by the use of Microsoft Excel during my psychology coursework on majority influence and conformity, during which I was able to conduct a real psychological experiment and handle raw data, imputing it into a system to prove or disprove a given theory. Both of these experiences have driven my love of my subject, and to be able to see it being used in the real world.
Outside of the classroom, my passion for social studies continues. I regularly attend Politics, Philosophy and Psychology lectures at my school, as well as regularly participating in debating and public speaking. I recently participated in a debate called ‘Should we be concerned with the power of the media?’ in which I argued that the power of the media can dangerously influence young people, which helped me to think about the sociological and psychological implications of the media.
In my final year of school, I took on the position of Head of my school's Christian Union, as well as being a prefect. Both of these positions have given me the opportunity to meet new people, which has greatly improved my self confidence, and has enabled me to help others in my community.

interview in substance missues intervention by guest at 14:06 5/05/2011

i have got interview this monday 9.5.011 please if any body has been interview in this field ca contact me on bhomayouni6@gmail.com .please help me as time runing and i havent got that much time left.ido appriciate that.thanks

Comment by guest at 23:20 8/11/2011

why u wanna study an this university and why u the subject is important to you?

architecture by guest at 23:51 9/02/2012

Hi! I need help, i have an interview for architecture. Can you give me some tips? My email is danielatabacaru@mail.ru

Interview Tips Required by MissMax1977 at 2012-02-13 11:39:00

This is extremely short notice as I have just joined. I have an interview tomorrow at UWS for Social Work and wonder if anyone has any tips on what to expect from this interview? My email address is lynettemaxwell@hotmail.com Thanks :o)

Comment by guest at 17:36 6/08/2012

i just am curious to find out what this question means if i was to get this asked to me in my interview. What are the most important current developments in your subject?

Comment by guest at 20:55 6/11/2012

"What are your weaknesses?" Upper body strength. I'm not sure whether that would be a suitable answer... :P

Comment by guest at 19:56 13/11/2012

This is really relevant, but the way the question 'Why are you taking a gap year?' is repeated is rather humourous. 'Why are you taking a gap year? What are your plans for your gap year? Why are you taking a gap year?' Just sounds kinda interrogative and suspicious... Just sayin' (:

^^^ by guest at 19:56 13/11/2012

*irrelevant, sorry, typo :L

Applying to study sports science and exercise. by guest at 16:03 11/11/2013

Can you please help me. I am currently in the process of applying to Bath uni to study sports science and I would really like to know what sort of questions I would come across if invited to an interview. Thanks Please email me: dominic412@hotmail.co.uk

This personal statement was written by charlied for application in 2009.

charlied's Comments

This is a statement that I submitted for Social Sciences at York, Cardiff and Bath, and for Sociology and Psychology at Edinburgh and Exeter. Hope it helps!

Statement rating:***

Comment by Ocean at 2008-12-15 19:23:44

Nice statement, bit concerned about the name dropping however. I was told that this should be avoided in per stat's. Hope you get some offers.....in fact i know you will. Your statement is succinct in showing your passion for the subject applied for. Good Luck

FjVHXyUU by guest at 21:28 23/07/2013

Im thankful for the blog post.Much thanks again. Keep writing.