Russian and German Personal Statement Example

I enjoy all my A-level subjects but have found German particularly interesting and would like to study it further at university. After researching an art project and being selected to sing with the school choir in the Czech Republic I became interested in European cultures and felt drawn to Russian, especially after talking to a native Russian speaker. I have since borrowed relevant library books and learnt the Cyrillic alphabet as well as numerous phrases. I enjoy travel and the chance to experience different societies as well as meeting new people.

Partaking in extra curricular Italian conversation classes and Latin lessons has helped my understanding of language construction and has been helpful in my examined courses. I took up the opportunity to go to Germany, on an exchange visit to Wrzburg, Bavaria, which gave me a realistic insight into the culture. It also helped me to improve my speaking skills and to put what I had learned into practice.

I have taken the opportunity to develop a wide range of skills and interests outside my A-level studies. Having completed a CLAIT course I am proficient in computing. This has been helpful for information retrieval and project presentation. I have played the piano since the age of seven and am capable of playing to grade five standard. I later developed an interest for the violin in which I attained grade five at the age of fifteen. This has enabled me to play with the school orchestra, string group and Lytham Promenade Orchestra. I have taken part in a school play and a public speaking competition both of which I feel have helped me to gain confidence in public speaking. I was elected a member of the sixth form council, and in this role have been responsible for decisions about the life of the school and have helped at open days, parents evenings and aided prospective pupils on the day of their entrance exam.

My leisure activities involve music, reading and creating artwork. An example of this was when I worked with a local artist on a beach hut commission in Cleveleys. This involved collaging furniture and helping the development of some of the artists ideas relating to the theme Lady Luck.

I have chosen courses which will help me in my ambition to become a diplomat, which I feel would make the best use of my skills in modern language and interpersonal relationships and now very much look forward to becoming fluent in Russian and German and studying the culture of the two countries in depth.

Statement rating:***

VERY good. you remain simple

VERY good. you remain simple and manage to put forward your qualities without appearing to show off. please, where did you apply ?

i dont like the beginning

i dont like the beginning sentence very ordinary.
gets better towards the end though.

it's probably not recommended

it's probably not recommended to make a joke or whatever because you may well end up appearing facecous, that or the admin guy may not share your sense of humour and think you're an idiot/insensitive/immature depending on what your humours like

Comment

Seems like you didn't focus enough on the acedemics, but was good. Where did you get into?