Journalism and International Relations Personal Statement Example

In a world of high technology and mass media, journalism is at the epicentre. Edward Bulwer-Lytton once said 'The pen is mightier than the sword' I second this notion; through history a pen has been able to unite country, to form a nation and also incite conflict within us in which mayhem and cold war became the norm. The evolution of journalism is shown through the Roman Empire creating the Acta Diurna in early 59 BC one of the earliest forms of journalism through to the New York Times. The world may change and society may evolve but
journalism stays grounded as a foundation for the future

I have continuously been driven to obtain a broader knowledge about the multidimensional relations amongst all of the states, both inter and non- governmental organisations and how they regard the problems that affect the world such as terrorism, climate change and the conflicts between states such as Ukraine and Russia. My interest in international relations derives from my interest in the Somali civil war. As a person of Somali descent, I have been particularly struck by the dissimilarity between the quality of life that I lead in the UK and the quality of life my family in Somalia lead. I want to understand the people that are behind
this injustice especially in the global world. I am similarly interested in the politics of developing countries and how corruption has forced a confrontation with many terrorist groups.

In essence combining journalism and international relations are closely related in reporting and would be a remarkable opportunity. Through my studies of international relations and journalism I would be able to show that each and every person is able to contribute to change. This course would further enable my career as a humanitarian and journalist. I would have the opportunity to prove the pen is mightier than the sword. I come from a family with a political background; my great-uncle was President Siad Barre and although he passed away before I was born, he managed to greatly influence the next generation, myself included.

Studying both health and social care and religious studies, has given me a 'unique' path towards journalism; health and social care is made up of several modules, contributing to different aspects of health and society. Religious studies provides an understanding of how religion influences nations, especially as culture and tradition have been woven into the very root of religion, thus creating a wide range of interpretations.

Most would say that my interests and hobbies are eclectic and ever changing. Presently I am still discovering myself, deciding what I like about myself and what needs improvement, what I believe in and what I see as purely fictional, what I want from life and what I want to be sheltered from. Nevertheless, if there was an interest that has remained constant in my hectic life it would be keeping up with current affairs. Current affairs are an integral part of society and it is my duty as a member of society to be aware of what is going on around me.

After careful consideration and research I believe both my academic choices and personal experiences have created the driving force for wanting to pursue a career in journalism. I think a great journalist is one that can report without bias and judgement and speak the truth where it had once been tarnished with the claims of 'freedom of speech' which is often used to justify falsities; Harlan Ellison once said "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant". I want to use this chance to change the impact of the past and open an academic path for myself. If get the
opportunity to study journalism I will not only be bringing these qualities but also the maturity and confidence to achieve my ambition.