History Personal Statement Example 46

Childhood visits to Jorvik Viking Centre and Bede’s World to looking at old family photographs, let my imagination run wild, building stories and lives for people who would have lived during that time. I have found the relationship between the past and present hugely captivating. It gives me a great insight into how and why things have happened. My studies have been focused on European Studies. This has had me craving to expand my knowledge on these areas and explore other time periods.

The moment I knew I wanted to study history further was when a holocaust survivor, Harry Bibring, gave a moving talk at my school. This showed to me that history is more than what lies in textbooks but it is in the stories and lives of those who have lived through the tragedies and elations.

Some of the skills and qualities I have to be a successful student is that I have good communication. Working part time in Sainsbury’s café, I communicate with my team and customers well. This has been feedback to me by my manager. There is never a dull moment in the café; it is always full of laughter. An example of good written communication is while being on my school’s prom committee as part of my role as a prefect; I email a lot of venues in a professional capacity and communicate the committee’s wishes.

I am a reflective learner. I use feedback to set goals and identify issues. I then use this to actively seek and attend extra relevant study sessions. I also apply this during driving lessons, my instructor encourages me to self-access my driving skills and set goals. Whilst being a barista at Sainsbury’s café, I have become passionate about making the best coffees and independently taught myself latte art.

I am enthusiastic about opportunities to learn and experience. In the summer 2014, I went to Peru with the Vine Trust. We visited three orphanages, did activities with the children, became friends with them, and did work projects. These projects included building a septic tank, a bridge and delivering water to a shanti town. My team and I worked well together, recognising others great work and helping one another. Knowing you made a change to someone’s life is amazing. Learning about the history of the charity, Peru and the spectacular Machu Picchu was interesting. We attended Spanish club a year prior to trip but learnt a lot of Spanish there.

I have a lot of charity experience closer to home. I received a 10 hour Saltire award in 2014 for volunteering for the Summer Reading Challenge. I worked independently and enjoyed encouraging the children to enjoy books. I have fostered and rehabilitated dogs for the Scottish Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue and have even adopted one. I’m reliable, caring and determined. I have recently begun volunteering at the local Art Centre. This is enjoyable as I have a great love for musicals and stage shows.

I enjoy reading – especially classic novels, even though I love a range of books, with classic novels I can place myself into that story and time period. My favourite author being Charles Dickens. It makes the time period more real than the facts and numbers. Going on a Charles Dickens tour in London earlier this year made my mind come alive.

I have a hard time sitting still, knowing there are unused minutes passing me by. This has inspired me to become active – anything from taking the dog for a walk, tackling a mountain or swimming in the sea.
My main passion is to travel and explore. I love the different cultures, languages, places and people. Talking to new people and seeing how they live their lives. Learning about the history of the place, how their past has transformed their present.

In gaining a history degree, I would hope to become a teacher or journalist. I once had a history teacher when I was 14 who inspired me. I love learning and I would love to help someone realise their talents and encourage them to explore the subject. The same for journalism, I would hope to inspire and make people truly think.

This personal statement was written by niamhpollard for application in 2014.

niamhpollard's Comments

I would really love some advice on my personal statement - this is my first draft and I'd like to know how others read it and how to improve it to the best of its ability! Thanks!! :)