UCAS Mature Student Reference

I'm a Mature student - who can I ask to write a reference for me?

Don't worry if you've been out of education for a few years or more - you can still easily obtain a reference for your UCAS application.

The following people are suitable to act as your referee:

  • Current or previous employer
  • Current or previous work colleague
  • A tutor from your old school or college
  • An adviser or training provider in a current or previous role.

As long as the person knows you well enough to comment on your academic abilities, and other skills/experience relating to your chosen university course, then UCAS will accept their reference.

However, you must not ask a member of your family, friend or ex-partner to act as your referee. If UCAS find out you have done so, they have the right to cancel your application.

What should they include in my UCAS reference?

Normally, the following points should be covered in the reference:

  • Academic achievements and your potential, including any predicted examination results or performance
  • Your suitability for the degree you are applying for
  • Any factors that influence performance, e.g. disabilities, learning difficulties or personal circumstances
  • Personal qualities, such as motivation, analytical skills, ability to work as part of a team, solving problems, etc.
  • Any career plans you have
  • Non-academic interests and/or hobbies.