English Language & Linguistics Personal Statement Example

I imagine that many other applicants will talk about how English Language is all they've ever wanted to study since they mastered the subordinate clause at the age of four. However, I'm a bit different. For me, there have always been two subjects that have fascinated me - English and Science. I believe this is why English Language and Linguistics has become my choice of degree; the precise and scientific approach linguistics requires will allow me to bring together the two subjects that I most enjoy.

In order to share my passion for English, I assist in some of the AS English Language lessons in school. Through preparing presentations and providing input into the classes, this experience has helped to improve my communication skills and cement my understanding of English Language as I need to ensure that I am able to answer any questions that the students may have.

Last year, I helped out with 'The Reading Challenge'; a learning initiative facilitated by my school, the aim of which was to aid students, mainly in year seven, who were struggling with reading and had reading ages below that of their actual age. 'The Reading Challenge' proved very rewarding as I witnessed the progress of the student that I worked with until, at the end of the initiative, his reading age had greatly improved.

In year 10, I undertook a week of work experience at my local radio station, Silk FM. As my first major introduction to the working world, I felt challenged by the work set for me but at the same time, enjoyed the responsibility bestowed upon me. Whilst there, I wrote scripts for the news sections, edited interviews and even conducted my own interviews. This vastly improved my confidence and as I was working on my own for most of the time, enhanced my ability to work independently.

Outside school, I have a part-time job at Sainsbury's which has helped me to learn to balance my time effectively; managing my school work against my job and social life. Whilst working, I have gained a sense of self-reliance which will hopefully ensure that the independence of university doesn't come as too much of a shock.

For three years, I was a part of the Cheshire Young Persons' Reference Group, a sub-group of Connexions. As a member of the group, I assisted in the production of workshops for young people on numerous occasions. As a group, we held a conference at the Sage Centre in Gateshead for 150 youth workers. The focus of my involvement was to conduct a number of workshops centred on working with young people. Through this involvement, I have strengthened my ability to work as a part of a team and further developed my skills in communicating to a variety of audiences.

From Les Miserables to Hamlet, I thoroughly enjoy visiting the theatre, recently venturing as far as London to see critically acclaimed performances. The arts are an important part of my life; I have played the bass guitar for the last two years and regularly attend music concerts. I also like to spend time writing and have recently submitted work into a regional competition organised by MMU.

Whilst studying English Language during my A levels, it has captivated me and become the main focus of my plans for both my education and the rest of my life. After university, I aspire to use this degree and become a linguist. Ever since undertaking an individual language investigation during my A levels, researching, analysing and evaluating language use has become all I want to do. By looking at studies by Labov, Bernstein and Lakoff, to name but a few, my desire to become a linguist has constantly grown and in twenty years time, I would be ecstatic if language students were quoting the theories of [surname].

This personal statement was written by cb.soycd for application in 2009.

cb.soycd's Comments

Recently submitted this to UCAS. Recieved offers from:
Edinburgh - BBB
Manchester - AAB
Sheffield - ABB
Sussex - AAB
York - ABB.

What really captured my

What really captured my attention was the opening line. It certainly comes across a bit bolshie, and i simply wouldn’t do it because it’s not my personality. But you’ve just got to play the game like everyone else has: to stand out and be noticed.
Good ps

The first sentence got me

The first sentence got me excited and engaged, although it made the rest of your statement a complete anticlimax.

You really aren't any different to the other 92347562 applicants.

Okay, well that's your

Okay, well that's your opinion.

Clearly, the admissions tutors don't agree with you.

Where's 92,347,562 come from?

Where's 92,347,562 come from? There's no where near that many people in the country, let alone students...anyway I thought this personal statement was near perfect.

Excellent Personal Statement.

Excellent Personal Statement. Have to say though that that first line was the star of the show. Very original, and you didn't over-do it by acting pompous throughout, so you seemed opinionated, but not conceited. Well done.

clicked on this for the

clicked on this for the genius opening line. BUT WHERE'S THE ENGLISH AND LINGUISTICS, DUDE?

i'm sure oxford will love to have you for management studies tho

I wish Edinburgh was still

I wish Edinburgh was still 'BBB'

Near perfect? No, I don't think so.

Unnecessary words "For me" - well who else is it for? Then another "me" in the same sentence. "undertoook" ? "did" is better. "bestowed upon" seriously? Were you knighted?
Write " Long words are not impressive."40 times.

" I believe this is why

" I believe this is why English Language and Linguistics has become my choice of degree"

I believe "I believe" is unnecessary

"at the end of the initiative, his reading age had greatly improved" Evidence please! If you tested his reading age then tell us how much it improved by. "Greatly improved" comes across as a fudge, Just the facts please, if you want to appear honest and principled.

" I assisted in the production of workshops for young people on numerous occasions." Too numerous to be counted? See above.

"The focus of my involvement was to conduct a number of workshops centred on working with young people."

Or...

I conducted 6 workshops about working with young people.

You choose.

"recently venturing" ???

"researching, analysing and evaluating language use has become all I want to do."

Really? Going to give up shagging, drinking, breathing, sleeping etc for linguistics?