French & German Personal Statement Example 2

I have chosen to complete a Modern Languages degree, as it will enable me to study the languages, societies and cultures of both France and Germany. In addition to my lessons, extra reading, including 'Die Verwandlung', written by Franz Kafka, and 'Madame Bovary', by Gustave Flaubert, has confirmed my interest in reading this subject.

I particularly enjoy studying modern foreign languages, as I am not only building upon my understanding of grammar and my knowledge of vocabulary, but also enjoy discovering more about the history, culture and politics of foreign countries. I have completed extensive research of French speaking musicians, such as MC Solaar (France) and Amadou et Mariam (Mali). I believe I possess good oral and written communication skills, as well as tolerance and interpersonal skills, which I think are required for the degree.

My work experience in France has confirmed my interest in reading foreign languages, as I enjoyed living and working as if I were French. Working in a music shop meant that it was necessary to use my language skills in situations under pressure, as well as discovering increasing amounts about French culture.

As a Customer Assistant I was involved in a range of areas such as interacting with customers and carrying out administrative tasks, which developed my language skills. Working in a small team and dealing with customers ensured that I was able to communicate and listen carefully to others and work co-operatively with a variety of different people.

After this, I thoroughly look forward to living and working and studying in France and Germany as part of this degree. I have also completed work experience at Gloucestershire International Education Centre, where I thoroughly enjoyed developing my language skills whilst in meetings with foreign visitors.

Being selected as a senior prefect in the sixth form has provided me with the opportunity to represent others in a responsible and fair manner, which has been further developed in my role as house music captain; I have learned to extend my communication skills by speaking and listening in a large group. I am also a computer prefect, which entails supervising the use of school computer rooms by younger pupils during lunchtimes.

Within my school I have taken all opportunities possible to increase my knowledge of foreign languages: I have completed a Mandarin Chinese immersion course, taken a qualification in Russian and am in the process of learning Arabic.

I have also completed my bronze Duke of Edinburgh award, which involved helping out with a local girls' brigade, where I took responsibility for the girls and organised games to play, as well as completing an expedition. Finally, my part-time job as a Sales Assistant at Sainsbury's has provided an opportunity to co-operate with others and become more independent.

In addition to this, playing the clarinet at grade 8, besides teaching myself to play the saxophone and guitar has been extremely rewarding. My interest in music has given me the opportunity to be part of many musical groups. For example, the Gloucestershire Youth Wind Orchestra where I play clarinet. I have taken part in many concerts around England with GYWO, as well as going on tour to Germany in 2006.

My interest in music led me to becoming house music captain for an annual competition held at my school. I am interested in foreign music, and I enjoy watching foreign films such as 'ne le dis à personne' and 'das Leben der Anderen'; it is a passion of mine and has led to a broader interest in world literature.

I also take a keen interest in raising money for charity. I have taken part in the Race for Life twice, where I have raised money for Cancer Research UK.

My work experience in France combined with my passion for foreign arts and my school-based studies make me confident that I am suited to a degree in Modern Foreign Languages. It has confirmed that I am not only passionate about languages themselves, but the culture and societies from which they originate.

This personal statement was written by loobalicious12 for application in 2008.

best personal statement I

best personal statement I ever read

really?

nah this is far from the best statement ever. the structure is ok but the flow is way off. lol

what u mean by the flow is

what u mean by the flow is way off

Other than the first

Other than the first paragraph, this is quite a good personal statement. However, the opening needs to be more attention-grabbing - you don't need to tell the admissions tutor what you'll be studying in the course!

i thought this was pretty

i thought this was pretty rubbish in comparison to others that i've read, sounded like a first draft to me!

really good; I especially

really good; I especially like the last paragraph. you've done so much work experience, it's great.

HtLzjyOrtA

Im obliged for the blog article.Thanks Again. Awesome.