Dentistry Personal Statement Example 10

My interest in Dentistry initially arose from my own experiences with Dentists. When I was younger, I suffered from cyclic neutropenia which led to many dental problems, and was always grateful to my dentist and dental hygienist for all their help. I began to appreciate their work even more after I got braces, as people now compliment me on how wonderful my teeth look, something I feel that my dentist should be accredit for. I soon decided that this is the career I want to pursue. I want to be able to help people and think that it is not just all about oral health but also a means to give people back their smile and self-esteem.
I have gained some work experience in the Dental department in Letterkenny General Hospital and found it extremely interesting. While I was there I got the opportunity to shadow different dentists and dental hygienists and witnessed various different dental procedures such as fillings, fissure sealings, veneers, braces, dental implants and root canal procedures. I got an insight into the professional life of a dentist and learned that this job is not just about the treatment and care of the patient but also about communication, social interaction and teamwork. I found it a very 'hands-on' profession and was fascinated by how everyone worked in carefully constructed teams and in close proximity with each other.
I believe that I will be able to deal with the academic pressure of the course as I am a very diligent and consistent student. I feel proud to have achieved academic awards each year and an art award last year as well as having represented my school at a science quiz two years ago. I have a keen interest in science and enjoy the complexity of the subject, especially physics and chemistry, and love learning about the mechanics of the world.
In school, I am the head of the green school committee and have recently joined the peace and justice group. I appreciate the work we do and think that being a part of these committees have helped me take a more active part in the school community. They prove that I am capable of working in a team and have leadership qualities and have also given me a chance to improve my organisational and time management skills. I have served as a 5th year monitor in my school as well and had taken on this role of responsibility with great enthusiasm. As a 5th year monitor I had to be able to manage conflict and deal with difficult students, and I think that this would really help me with a career in dentistry, especially in paediatric dentistry where I would have to work with young children.
I did some voluntary work in a primary school and I think that it provided me with a great opportunity to engage with young children. It also showed that I could work with children and am able to placate them if they get nervous or upset. I enjoy music, dancing and sport as well, and find that these activities help me feel less stressed and allow me to maintain a balanced lifestyle. I play the piano and learn Irish Dancing. I have attended a few Fèisanna and received medals from them and have also achieved a silver medal for gymnastics a few years ago. I have a passion for Badminton and enjoy the challenge it provides. It is quite a graceful sport and requires a lot of focus and
determination and an ability to make split second decisions. This sport also helped me improve my teamwork and communication skills, as these are necessary qualities while playing in doubles, and allowed me to develop a hand to eye coordination as well as manual dexterity, skills which are very beneficial in the field of Dentistry.
I strongly believe that I posses all the necessary qualities and skills needed to be a good dentist. I am a 'people's person' who enjoys working together in groups and am a committed student with a friendly and empathetic nature suited for this profession.

This personal statement was written by S_sonia for application in 2012.

S_sonia's university choices
University of Glamorgan
The University of Liverpool
University of Glasgow
University of Leeds
Queen's University Belfast

S_sonia's Comments

Hey guys. This is my Personal Statement for Dentistrty. Please rate and tell me what you think of it.

Your personal statement is

Your personal statement is not bad, but honestly, it is a bit boring for me to read it.

also, it would be better if you can leave some more space between each paragraphs.

Your personal statement is

its alright great gud lu

its alright great gud lu