International Relations/Politics Personal Statement Example 2

Napoleon Bonaparte once said, ‘’Ambition is of little account without opportunity’’. This quote has always struck deeply with me, as it can be interpreted in various ways, but the message remains that we should seize all opportunities presented to us, enabling us to be the best we can be. I intend to do this by studying Politics/International Relations.

The desire to study this was heavily influenced by a visit I paid to the Houses of Parliament at the age of 6 in order to read my prize-winning short tale about wanting to visit the Queen.

The vivid memory of the plush green seats in the House of Commons, and the grandiosity of the chamber, left me feeling awestruck, and instilled a determination to return there one day. Being named after Napoleon’s first wife, I am a passionate, charming and generous person, qualities which Joséphine de Beauharnais also possessed.

The study of my current A Levels has provided me with a heightened level of curiosity, which can now only be satiated by the higher level of study that university education provides.

Moreover, I have developed a thoughtfulness and maturity in my analytical responses through the study of English Literature, looking deeper into the questions posed and exploring various viewpoints in response, which is an essential tool to possess, not just on paper, but in life itself.

Through studying Politics I have realised that the relationships between countries and nation-states around the world have a direct, albeit unknown effect on the individual. From the price of our coffee to the cost of fuel, our everyday lives are determined by the science of Politics.

Policies have been made in order to avert mistakes made in the past, to ‘stop history repeating itself’. International Relations also play a crucial role in politics, as every country and nation has a role to play on the world’s stage. My current role as a CAFOD volunteer has opened my eyes to the necessity of global harmony.

Through the distribution of leaflets to members of my local parish, as well as going into schools to promote the inspirational work that CAFOD carries out, I am endeavouring to educate and enlighten people on issues such as the fact that one in eight people in the world today still have no food to eat, which I, for one, believe is unacceptable, and am determined to seek out change.

My admiration for French has steadily grown over the past 10 years of studying it. I am an avid fan of French literature and cinema, my favourite novels being Bonjour Tristesse, by Francoise Sagan, Les Liasons Dangereuses by Choderlos de Laclos, and one of my favourite French films being The Chorus (Les Choristes), by Christophe Barratier.

Both the French language and culture has provided me with a different perspective of the world, and Britain’s membership of the EU has made it vital to have some knowledge of another language, as it is an invaluable asset to possess.

Having learnt French from the age of 8, I have become more appreciative of the English language, and accepting of other cultures as a result. I am fascinated by other traditions and attitudes, and am extremely eager to be attending a university which will provide the rare opportunity for me to study and live abroad and broaden my outlook on life, as well as nurturing me intellectually.

Following my father’s footsteps and becoming a civil servant is my ultimate aspiration. Paul Gilroy’s ‘There Aint No Black in the Union Jack’ provided one of the most honest narratives on the difficulties of ascertaining an individual identity from an already stigmatised race, and encouraged me to stand up and seize all opportunities to be an active part of my society.

Obtaining a degree in International Relations will certainly place me on my path to success. Becoming a ‘servant of the Crown’ and having even a small yet significant say in the future of Britain and effectuating change, will be the mark I aim to leave in this world.

This personal statement was written by Seduisantetudiante for application in 2013.

Seduisantetudiante's Comments

I uploaded this personal statement for those who aren't ''privileged'' or have had the opportunities to have ''had a week shadowing a diplomat in Prague'' or things like that, just a regular, ambitious student :-)