International Relations Personal Statement Example 2

I'd like to study international relations because I am concerned about the rapid rise of great powers such as the resource-rich Gulf States. I would like to understand how states engage at the national level and how they leverage power. I would also like to understand how international players like the EU and the UN operate. Does the EU have a future post the present economic crisis? Can it afford to fall apart? What will become of Spain and its young unemployed? I look forward to embracing the scope of these debates at a higher level.

I've been interested in international relations ever since I began following the Somali civil war. Being part-Somali, I've been particularly struck by the contrast between the wealthy life I lead in GB and the poverty of family members in Somalia: I want to understand the drivers behind such inequality, especially in a global world. I am intrigued as to how the politics of Somalia will change under the newly elected president and, in particular, whether the force Al-Shabaab will be confronted.

Through Government and Politics I have gained awareness of the relationship between political ideas, institutions and processes in the UK. I would like to develop this knowledge and not only shift my focus to other parts of the world, but begin to engage in comparative politics. By studying Geography, I am learning that conflict can arise over geographical factors such as water insecurity, witness the 6 day Arab-Israeli war in 1967. I am interested to learn what other contributing factors exist and also look into the potential non-violent alternatives to war. In Economics, I particularly enjoyed learning how monetary policies may affect further growth of China. I anticipate studying the political economy in more depth and in a global context.

During a placement with Baroness Warsi, I was taught about the importance of the media. My role included updating the office on international headlines, demonstrating the vitality of overseas relationships. Additionally, I was able to see how British politicians such as she, perceive global issues. The placement included a trip to the Houses of Parliament which was invaluable as it shed light on the day-to-day practice of politics. On a Social Market Foundation placement, I researched the links between poverty and education and determined how these should affect social politics. The experience was very rewarding and I enjoyed learning about the role of a think tank.

Recently, I have joined a debating club. I am learning to think logically and critically, as opposed to emotionally. I look forward to applying these skills in particular to the key debates of international relations theory. Earlier this year, I attended a conference entitled 'Riots, Rebellions and Revolutions'. It ended in a discussion comparing the Arab Spring to the England riots and deciding whether any of the contributing factors to each event were at all similar.

In my spare time, I enjoy reading news and opinion, such as Al Jazeera, to keep informed of global events and the reactions they evoke. A few months ago, I started my own blog where I express my opinions on the latest fashion trends.

As well as furthering my understanding of and interest in international relations, I want to continue my language studies, namely French and Spanish, which will equip me well for later in life, when I hope to work for the Civil Service or as a foreign correspondent for a news network such as Al Jazeera. As for university life, I look forward to immersing in student culture.

This personal statement was written by imayaan for application in 2013.

imayaan's university choices
The University of Warwick
University of Surrey
University of Sussex
The University of Kent
Aberystwyth

Degree
Politics with International Studies at The University of Warwick

imayaan's Comments

My PS couldn't be too bad considering Warwick was my firm and I missed my AAA offer, got A*BB and still got in.