English and Film Studies Personal Statement Example 2

The relationship between literature and the visual arts has become increasingly interesting to me, spurred on by choosing Film Studies at A Level. Authors utilise syntaxes containing metaphors, motifs and hyperbole in order to bring a story to life the same way directors use cinematography, mise-en-scene and aesthetics.

The connection between literature and film is undeniable to me, evident from the rise of books being adapted to the screen. I have found discussing authors and novels equally as enjoyable as discussing auteurs and films. I am in awe of the ability authors and auteurs share to create worlds, to inspire and encourage action and feeling in others. I hope to develop those abilities myself.

The texts I have studied at A Level have introduced me to Graeco-Roman literature, as I noticed the influence of classical antiquity throughout them. Romantic Poets – particularly Keats – incorporated Greek and Roman mythology into their work. Tennessee Williams does the same in A Streetcar Named Desire, by mentioning Elysian Fields and arguably making Stanley a modern-day Dionysus.

This led to the creation of my essay ‘The Reinvention of Classic Mythology in Children’s Literature, which I entered in the Mary Renault Essay Competition. The essay allowed me to explore mythology in books I had previously read, as well as ensuring I familiarized myself with the original myths in Metamorphoses by Ovid. Now, I am even more interested in further learning about historical literature that I have not had the opportunity to study yet.

Literature and film have allowed me to deepen my understanding of various specialties, specifically history and art. For example, reading the Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank taught me about the horrors of the holocaust at a more intimate level, from someone the same age as me at the time. As an admirer of architecture, Dan Brown’s Angels and Demons was a delight because it gave me the opportunity to discover more about the fine art in Rome.

My interest in the link between art, history, and literature led to an essay I wrote for The Gould Essay Prize which discussed the elements of the Bible and the artwork that depicted it, such as works by Michelangelo and Da Vinci. Similarly, art and history came together in my favourite director Guillermo Del Toro’s film Pan’s Labyrinth.

As well as being a fantasy, the film intertwines the Goa’s Bleak Paintings, Catholic imagery and Francoist Spain to emphasise the importance of standing against fascism. I have been able to develop passions for other subjects, which is a reason why I know I will never tire of studying literature and film.

For three years, I took on the role of being head girl of my form as well as later joining the prom committee. From these I learned time keeping, teamwork and responsibilities in order to ensure the best possible outcome. Through contributing to my school’s photography magazine by writing reviews, I’ve had the opportunity to analyse and detail forms of media and literature.

Outside of school, I enjoy creative writing. My interest in creating my own stories has made me appreciate beautiful prose even more, as I relish the opportunity to analyse work that I hope will improve my own. Studying English Literature and Film Studies has allowed me to strengthen my examination skills for this purpose.

Additionally, I have participated in NanoWriMo where I wrote 50,000 words in a month and have had three of my short stories shortlisted and published on a website. All of this is in service to a future career that I hope will interlace all of my interests, which are rooted in my love for literature and film.

Taking part in the English summer school at the London Metropolitan University showed me how my love of English Literature can be translated to a higher level. By attending lectures designed for University students, I was reminded of how exciting the prospect of studying English is.

I had difficulty finding personal statement examples for my joint degree, so I hope this provides inspiration for anyone who needs it. I applied to Bath Spa University, Kent University, University of Manchester, Kings College London and University of St. Andrews. I received offers from all of them.