Cambridge Politics Personal Statement

As a female activist of Nigerian descent, I have realised how politics can be a force for positive change within the global community. Growing up around strong-willed individuals who commented on the politically-based conflict in Nigeria, I have naturally become eager to participate in these conversations and become more educated by reading books like Confidence in Diplomacy by Abdul Rimdap.

This sparked my interest in the history of Nigerian politics, particularly pre-colonial Nigeria and the subsequent effects of colonisation. This led me to question the extent to which colonisation continues to shape Nigerian politics. The effects of the British protectorates are shown through the past tensions between Southern and Northern tribes as well as the existing violence at the hands of militants such as the Boko Haram in what was a segregated but peaceful country pre-colonialism. A Politics and International Relations course would complement my African heritage by allowing me to explore the politics of my motherland as well as that of the UK.

Studying Politics as an academic subject has undeniably provided me with better insight. Watching parliamentary debates and PMQs, where class essays and textbooks are brought to life, has only matured my passion for politics and staying informed about contemporary political culture. Learning about soft and hard power, inspired an interest in two conflicting theoretical schools in International Relations - Realism and Liberalism. Niccolò Machiavelli specifically interested me. I believe that Machiavelli’s 16th-century political analysis plays a role in modern context beyond the world of politics. In chapter 18 of the Prince, Machiavelli comments on political leaders behaving like a fox. I feel this is best seen in the modern-day through global corporations that profess to connect the world but store online personal data that they later use to their advantage. Machiavelli and traditional realist views of power-seeking politics make me more inquisitive not just about how theories such as liberalism and realism play out on the international stage, but how different prime ministers and other world leaders align their actions with specific political philosophers.

Being a feminist, I was particularly affected when the Sarah Everard case became a discussion point in the news. I wanted to take direct action leading me to further research about safety within my borough. As a result, I joined my local Youth Council and through this organised an all-girls forum. I want to continue to push change in my local area, so have begun working closely with the Safer Neighbourhood Board around women’s safety. I have since developed skills such as conflict resolution and organisation because I offer practical solutions that contribute meaningfully to conversations.

By partaking in extra-curricular activities such as debate, I have been able to compete in many competitions and start a Debate Society in school. This coupled with my participation in Model UN, a 3-day international online event, has helped me to gain skills such as debating, negotiating and articulation. This enabled me to use the theories from my research on international institutions, such as the UN, and apply it to a real-life situation. My representation of Yemen as part of the World Health Organisation developed my appreciation for Yemen and its humanitarian crisis. I am excited to learn more about how effective the UN is in solving global issues and examining the barriers to the aid it offers. Thus, I would love to participate in academically rigorous debates and to study in great depth, the subject that I believe is an integral factor in society.

Course: 
HSPS

Cambridge - Accepted
Newcastle - Accepted
Birmingham - Accepted
Bristol - Accepted
Liverpool - Accepted

Applied for HSPS at University of Cambridge and Politics and International relations everywhere else.