Psychology Personal Statement Example 5

Psychology has been a part of my life indirectly for many years, from something as insignificant as people watching in a cafe to an impromptu counselling session for a friend with emotional trauma.

I have had a real desire to work with people for a long time and have always been fascinated with human behaviour and understanding how the mind works, in order to empower individuals to lead better lives.

It is this fascination that has makes psychology such a desirable subject for me.

I have researched social work and psychology extensively and felt positive this was my calling. I have since begun an Access to Health and Social Care course at Poole and Bournemouth College, where I am achieving merit and distinction grades for the units studied so far.

During my studies, I have found the psychology elements fascinating, particularly Atypical Psychology where I researched the condition SAD and a biological thesis on the disorder and interviewed a sufferer on its impact on their life.

I am confident this has given me the foundations and passion to succeed and enjoy the demands this university course will present. My decision to study Psychology BSc (HONS) has been a relatively easy decision having looked in more depth at the course content.

Without exception, every element interests me and I look forward to the analysis, research and exploration of these in greater depth. I particularly find the humanistic approach intriguing and look forward to studying the works of Maslow and Rogers in more detail. I have a definite interest in educational psychology or within a social work setting.

Having been a carpenter for a large yacht manufacturer for a number of years, I found myself increasingly unsatisfied, in both being a carpenter and in the industry I worked. It did however bring me in contact with people from all walks of life and help me develop an inquisitive mind and an innate ability to communicate with others.

As a result of my desire to retrain, I also changed jobs and now work as a support worker for a disability charity providing all round support to adults with learning and physical disabilities in a supported living environment. My role has introduced me to autism and has lead me to research this complex condition further, reading work by Simon Baron-Cohen.

During my life, I have experienced many high and lows, and having firmly put these issues behind me, this has formed me in to a determined individual with a passion to succeed in all that I do and a real desire to help others.

From my experiences, I feel that I have learnt a set of unique personal skills, such as compassion, open mindedness and an inquisitive mind. I have seen the challenges that being a single father has brought, this has further motivated me to learn more about how the mind develops and integrates into the world around us.

In my spare time, I am a very keen photographer and have been published in magazines and in the local paper on several occasions, the last time being when I won a competition in the Bournemouth Daily Echo with a picture of Poole Harbour.

I am a keen runner and completed the Bath Half Marathon in March 2013 raising over £800 for a national Parkinson's charity and am in training for this years Bath Half Marathon, this time raising money for CLIC Sargent.

This personal statement was written by stukerr74 for application in 2014.

stukerr74's Comments

4 out 4 offers