Psychology and Criminology/Criminal Justice personal statement

I have often thought myself to be a lucky individual: My Grandfather was a detective in the Lancashire constabulary many years ago, and when I was a child I was often graced with countless stories from his crime fighting days. From this; I became fascinated in crime particularly from that of a Psychological viewpoint. I am intrigued by human behaviour and how this applies to the criminal justice system. I have always been especially interested in youth offenders and sex crimes.

My passion for psychology and criminal behaviour has opened me up to a world of literature in this genre. I am particularly interested in the true crime books penned by Ann Rule, amongst others. I have encountered, and was captivated by, the controversial and unethical 'Stanford Prison Experiment' administered by Philip G. Zimbardo. I have enjoyed studying that of Little Albert, it was a great insight into the fear response, and, although unethical, it has benefited us right up to the present day.

I initially studied Psychology at A level in college. I learnt about the various Psychological approaches such as the Behaviourist approach and Psychodynamics, I gained extensive knowledge of Freud and his theory of The Stages, and studied various other topics. I fell pregnant half way through the course and unfortunately could not continue. However, this brief period of study gave me a taste of the subject; I knew I would pursue it further and eventually aim for a career in forensic psychology. Therefore in 2003 I decided that as soon as circumstances prevailed; I would follow my overall aspiration of studying at University; and this year I chose to enrol onto a QAA Access to Higher Education course. I am also studying an optional course in Mathematics which, once completed, will result in 6 open college network credits at level 3, and 3 credits at level 2. I believe that as well as aiding me, this also proves my ability to be self motivated.

Whilst I appreciate that I do not have a massive amount of qualifications (this is due to an extreme case of bullying and a change of school at a very crucial time), I believe I have lived through a lot; I am now settled, mature and more than determined to do this course, and; since leaving secondary education I have gained a wide array of skills. These have developed from various occupations: from my bar job; I have experience of team work and liaising with people, from Human Resources I have analytical skills, and for my Customer Service Administrator job there is researching (people and events). In the last 5 years I have raised 3 children, thus enhancing certain abilities, such as: time management and organisation.

In my spare time I frequent the local book club; which is held in Wallasey Library, and I am currently awaiting a volunteer placement within the Youth Justice system. I enjoy writing short stories and poems for my children and generally spending time with them. I am computer literate to a high degree of competency; this is due to working with varied systems throughout employment, and also from being a keen user at home.

I believe that as a mature student with vast life experience; my input to the course will be invaluable. My experience in the Human Resources department of a national bank proves that I am highly numerate and used to copious amounts of responsibility; both as an individual and as part of a team. I am keen, conscientious and hard working and I am hugely enthusiastic about my choice of course. I am also quick to adapt to any given situation and I sincerely believe that I will be an asset, not just in the classroom, but to the University as a whole.

This personal statement was written by sweetiepie for application in 2009.

sweetiepie's Comments
I would be grateful for any input xx

There are no comments for this page.