Marine Biology Personal Statement Example 4

The biology and ecology of the world's oldest and most complex ecosystem truly fascinate me. The delicate nature of coral reefs is a particular interest of mine as they are being disrupted by our intrusive and often harmful activities such as oil spills, over fishing, coastal development and the poor buoyancy of inexperienced divers. The opportunity to develop practical and field work skills whilst learning about the research and conservation required in helping protect and preserve this fragile environment is what attracts me to a degree in Marine Biology.

Scuba Diving has made me aware of the scale of plastic and rubbish that has been dumped in the sea and sparked my interest in the conservation of marine species and their habitats. My voluntary work at the National Seal Sanctuary enabled me to work hands on with the seals; preparing their carefully planned meals and doing daily health checks taught me about all the care and dedication needed to rescue and rehabilitate these incredible creatures. I look forward to seeing how the seals rescued this year have progressed when I go back in August 2010. At the centre's simulated rock pool I thrived on the opportunity to share my enthusiasm for marine crustaceans and was rewarded by the excitement on the children's faces when the hermit crabs started fighting over a shell. I am currently applying to work on a turtle conservation project with The Katelios Group, Kefalonia.

My A-level subjects have helped to widen and shape my knowledge, providing me with key skills that will help me throughout my further studies. Mathematics is challenging and pushes me to improve my analytical mind through the manipulation of intricate algebra. I am fortunate to have a natural flair for Biology and find it fascinating how varied organisms function and interact with each other; practical work is particularly exciting and rewarding. I have been able to utilise my mathematical skills to analyse data and I have enjoyed the introduction to key fieldwork techniques which I would hope to build on in university. The logical patterns and complexities of Chemistry have enabled me to develop the ability to apply my theoretical knowledge to practical experiments.

I have three main hobbies, horse riding, SCUBA diving and kayaking. I spent three years riding for the David Broome Event Centre, competing on their dressage, show jumping, and eventing teams. This taught me the importance of working together and training to produce successful results. Our team work enabled us to win our regional qualifying rounds in dressage, taking us to the National Championships where we placed 12th as a team and I placed 6th individually. After my GCSEs I pursued my love of horses by completing a National Certificate in Horse Management, however, it was clear that equestrianism would always remain a hobby rather than a career.
I am an avid SCUBA diver, qualified to open water and working towards my advanced next February. While diving on the outer reefs in Cairns I was exhilarated by the abundance of life that surrounded me. In kayaking I am currently working through my BCU star awards; the freedom it gives to explore the seas and rivers is fantastic and if I can't be in the water I love to spend time on it. I hope to continue building on my experience in both of these interests at university.

I have an open mind to the opportunities which will be available to me in the future, whether it is research, fieldwork or education. I am sure my passion and enthusiasm will transfer to my life at university. I am ready for the challenges and look forward to immersing myself in my studies as I am keen to learn and be alongside like minded people

This personal statement was written by alfiemoon59 for application in 2000.

alfiemoon59's university choices
University of Plymouth
University of Portsmouth
The University of Liverpool
University of Wales Swansea