Management Science & Operational Research Personal Statement Example

Non-economists often view economics as an attempt to quantify results by using models, theory, and mathematical computations.

While these are essential components of the field, logic, rationality, and expediency are the governing dynamics of economics. Learning to approach a complex problem while being mindful of logic and efficiency is then an immediate corollary to studying game theory, finance, consumer theory, and other central themes of economics.

I hope to build upon the logic and practicality of economics by studying Management Science & Operational Research at the University of Warwick, in order to pursue my career interest in business analytics and management consulting.

My perspicacity of economics is evident in my coursework as an undergraduate student at XXX College. Based on my academic performance, I was selected from the XXX freshman class for the Richter Scholar Apprenticeship.

Working alongside a faculty member of the Business & Economics Department, I applied the theoretical framework of economics to evaluate the proliferation of the informal economy in both industrialized and underdeveloped nations.

Continuing my interest in independent research and economic applications to traditionally non-economic situations, I have chosen to write a senior thesis on Household & Labor economics.

To substantiate the claim that a long-term relationship exists between female labor force participation and marriage dissolution, I have spent the past four months conducting a thorough quantitative analysis.

By constructing a panel of cross-sectional data, I have conducted a multitude of regression models. These models encompassed variations in measurements of employment, education, and income, ultimately leading to the best-fit models necessary to illustrate the relationship between the dependent and independent variables.

Juxtaposing my analysis to prior empirical and theoretical studies, I have effectively illustrated the relationship between my variables of interest.

Applying the logic and insight of economics to the professional realm, I landed an internship in March 2008 with Northwestern Mutual Financial Network. While interning, I was responsible for overseeing the execution of all insurance case preparatory work, as well as working with the Finance Department to create personalized savings modules for retirement, education, and survivor income.

Based on my job performance, I was asked to write three comprehensive employee manuals regarding general office protocol, the proper execution for insurance case preparatory work and the necessary procedures for financial planning and adhering to compliance standards, detailing how to create presentation materials for clients. These manuals are still used by existing personnel and new hires.

My current internship with XXX Consulting Partners, a Chicago-based management consulting firm is most relevant to my postgraduate pursuits. As many clients face similar financial, employee, and workforce issues, my job as a member of Axiom is to develop and oversee a workable solution.

Because all organizations differ in work culture, business strategy, and corporate governance, we must view the problem from the client’s perspective to achieve the most efficient and effective solution. Adjunct to these valuable lessons, I have advanced my skills in statistical analysis, workflow mapping, and model building.

Moreover, I can now better assert my career goals, as I have taken a huge interest in that tasks assigned to me. I plan to pursue a career as a business strategist or management consultant.

A Master’s degree from Warwick would certainly help me achieve my career goals. Should I be accepted into the Management Science and Operational Research program, I would have three concomitant goals, which will all lead me to pursue a career as a business strategist or management consultant.

First and foremost, by studying Management Science and Operational Research, I hope to enhance my existing skill set in business modeling and quantitative analysis.

Skills I wish to acquire include conceptual, optimization, probability, and simulation modeling. In order to accurately and effectively apply these skills, however, I must also develop the understanding, intellect, and insight necessary to build the models and analyze the data. It is imperative to ask the correct questions, understand the scope of the situation, and consider all probable outcomes and scenarios.

The content of Warwick’s ORMS modules facilitates students’ understanding and regard for this notion.

A second goal of mine is to enhance my business acumen by looking at the theory and practical applications of the management discipline. This goal will be when I am enrolled in the Foundations of Management core module, and again when I complete a consultancy project or supervised research project.

This insight will enable me to conduct thorough analyses within the context of an organization, which will ultimately lead to improved business strategies and management decisions.

Lastly, while attending Warwick would endow me with an erudite education, it will also provide me with international exposure. In an ever-evolving global economy, understanding and appreciating different cultural perspectives is increasingly imperative for those of the business world, and international awareness and appreciation rests at the bedrock of Warwick’s mission statement.

Warwick is internationally recognized and accredited, and in some regards, sets the standards for other UK institutions.

My academic and professional experiences have allotted me with a sense of logic and reason, as well as a strong understanding in quantitative analysis and economics.

I hope to build upon these skills while at Warwick as I continue on my chosen career path of business analytics, as well as undergo continued academic, professional, and personal development. I look forward to the opportunity to utilize my knowledge of economics and pursue my goals of enhancing my skills in business analytics and operational research at Warwick.

This personal statement was written by jmas1221 for application in 2010.

jmas1221's Comments

My goal in this statement was to use my into as a skeleton for the rest of the paper, and explain what I have accomplished with my studies in Economics and what I wish to continue.

Are you applying for sept/oct

Are you applying for sept/oct 2010 program? I'm applying to Warwick too for Business Analytics and Consulting and I have been so clueless on how to write my statement. ur statement looks pretty gud to me