History & English Literature Personal Statement Example

History and English Literature have been by far my most exciting studies in the Sixth Form. Ever since discovering historical literature I have been engrossed by the way the two disciplines coexist and entwine, an interest intensified by school ventures to the Reichstag building, Ypres battlefield and Auschwitz.

My drive to understand the intricacies of foreign relations and populist rebellion has inspired me to study transcripts of tapes recorded during the Cuban Missile Crisis and read Zola's 'Germinal' respectively. Literature and History are, to me, inextricably linked. To explore the consequences of war, revolution and social change upon a generation of poets, playwrights and authors is to understand the making of the modern world, and it is that which I find so utterly compelling.

It strikes me as essential that Literature students should understand the social conditions in which their favourite authors were inspired or condemned. My study of the James Baldwin novels 'Giovanni's Room' and 'Another Country' offered absorbing accounts of rage, sexuality and racial segregation, paralleling the momentum of the Civil Rights Movement in 1960s America. Baldwin's evocative experiences within the novel urged me to study the turbulence of the Kennedy Presidency in my History coursework.

I am deeply passionate about investigating the relationship between literary works and historical context and aspire to continue in this field after University; therefore I am confident that a joint degree in History and English Literature is the ideal course for me.

Studying Politics at A Level has greatly complemented my study of both History and English Literature by enabling me to assess the complicated relationships of power that exist today while improving my critical essay-writing skills. Studying Drama to AS Level has not only increased my confidence and public speaking abilities but taught me the importance of teamwork and commitment to the cast.

I have used these skills in the school Debating Society, of which I am a founding member and have recently qualified for the regional round of the Debating Matters competition. Research required for debate preparation has broadened my knowledge of political and scientific topics relevant today and taught me how to form cohesive, rational arguments and authenticate evidence.

I took part in a Mediabox course in which I wrote and directed a short film in July 2007. This provided me with the ability to accept constructive criticism and strengthened my written work. I am also an aspiring poet and regularly attend the poetry discussion group at my local bookshop.

This has allowed me to receive feedback, refine and develop my own literary style. One of my biggest achievements was being asked to read in the Northern Liners festival last year at Newcastle's Literary and Philosophical Society.

As a regular speaker at UK Youth Parliament meetings I have had the opportunity to structure and maintain arguments and represent the viewpoints of others in an engaging and imaginative format. Assisting in History lessons as a classroom supporter has allowed me to offer guidance, listen and relate to younger students.

Being a Ranger at a local Guiding branch for three years and currently undertaking the v50 voluntary project has also taught me the values of organisation and time management; with careful planning I am able to meet all deadlines.

Having thoroughly enjoyed my A Level studies so far, the challenges and opportunities that a joint degree in History and English Literature will provide is a thrilling prospect and I eagerly look forward to my time at University.

This personal statement was written by lolcartz1991 for application in 2000.

lolcartz1991's Comments

I'm pretty happy with my personal statement. With it I applied to Cardiff, Southampton, Lancaster, Leicester and St. Andrews universities last week. I hope it helps :)

Love it!

This personal statement is inspiring, informative, and above all helpful. I want to study the same course as you and how you structure and write your personal statement has been important in helping me think about my personal statement when I apply next year. Thank you!

Love it!