Economics Personal Statement Example 20

Having been born in the UK, with parents from Delhi and Kenya, I feel my background has given me an internationally diverse outlook. In my travels, I have met with both the affluence of Europe and the poverty existing in India. Such contrasts have compelled me to seek an understanding of the forces that drive the world economy, and why after centuries of economic theory such inequalities continue to exist.

Over the summer, I have been researching India's economic development, partly stimulated by the issues above. The Indian economy is a fascinating topic for me, not just due to my heritage, but because of the juxtaposition between rapid increases in wealth on the one hand and the Sub-Saharan African levels of poverty on the other. Another part of economics I find appealing is the use of theories. I have been introduced to the Tragedy of the Commons and the Coase Theorem's take on externalities. My interest in strategic decision-making has been boosted by Game Theory, which has developed an understanding of the situations faced by oligopolies and the implications of Nash equilibrium. Such theoretical models have led me to Experimental Economics and Charles Holt's 'Markets, Games and Strategic Behaviour', in an attempt to see if people actually behave in the way theory predicts.

Being awarded the 2007 Kirk Cup for Mathematics at school, encouraged me to take A-level Further Maths. My problem solving skills and ability to manipulate algebraic variables have since been enhanced, which is beneficial considering the numerical analysis involved in economics. Given the problematic nature in conducting controlled experiments, I am eager to explore the range of statistical tools available to economists.

Presently, I offer tutoring for GCSE Maths students, and have taught an adult how to use various PC applications in the past. Such an experience has stressed the need for planning, patience and presenting work coherently for others to follow. I have also used graphical design software to produce adverts for my Mother's beauty business, and have assisted with book-keeping for annual tax returns. It has been noticeable how economic factors affect such a business; for example how demand for different treatments has changed with the credit crunch.

My internet browser's homepage is set to prompt me with the latest headlines from the BBC Business website, as it is a priority for me to keep up-to-date with the world around me. In addition, for different opinions, I also frequently read articles on economics in various newspapers. Reading books by economists, such as John Kay, has led me to appreciate better how concepts have developed over time. These include 'The Penguin History of Economics' by Backhouse and Levitt's 'Freakonomics', which I found entertaining, but thought lacked true economic substance. Besides reading, my other hobbies include remixing music on the computer and using Investopedia.com, on which I have a virtual portfolio of shares. As a representative of my college's debating team, my communication skills have greatly improved. At our next debate, I will be arguing for the wider use of congestion charges.

The recent economic turmoil has reinforced my belief in how economics is truly an integral part of our lives. University will provide the ideal environment in which to strengthen and test my understanding of such a discipline, whilst being a place where I can formulate and contribute my own theories to the subject. After receiving full marks in AS-level Economics, I have set myself a high standard, and I wish to continue my ambitions in the finance industry. However, I recognise that my passion for economics will lead me to many more career horizons.

This personal statement was written by Mopac for application in 2009.

Mopac's university choices
Oxford University
London School of Economics
University College London
The University of Warwick
University of Bristol

Degree
Economics & Management at Oxford University

Mopac's Comments

When writing this personal statement there were a few key points (about myself) that I wanted to get across. I wanted the let the university know that I have a genuine (not just an academic) interest in economics. I wanted to stress my knowledge of the subject (by bringing up various theories, and mentioning books I have read). And of course, I also wanted to emphasise my academic success.

I have to admit, writing this personal statement was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I guess its all worth it in the end.

Brilliant!

Your statement is really amazing and has helped me a lot! Do you think there is anyway in which I could get in touch with you? Especially as I am applying for economics and management this year and would love some feedback from someone who has experienced the whole process. Thank you!

Sure thing

yeh sure I'd be happy to help - sorry about my late reply by the way. Do you have an email address I can send mine to? (prefer to do it this way =P)

Same "guest"

Hey I'm glad you got back to me!

My email address is youngeconomist@hotmail.co.uk (this is just a subsdiary email) but I did not want to put my original one in the public domain! If you email me on this, I will definitely email you back from my "actual" one!

Thank you!

impressive

I really like your statement especially the indirectness with which all your points come across. Perhaps the best personal statement i have read so far on economics and relevant subjects

Email?

Hi, i am applying to ucl and lse and im currently in the process of writing my personal statement.. I was hoping that upon completion you could read it andtell me if i have a chance and also suggest you input.. Thanks.. Can you give me your email? Or email me at cheekyme_93@hotmail.com

Hey, this personal statement

Hey, this personal statement is absoloutly amazing and I really want to study economics at LSE. Could I email you my personal statement?

hey,

hey,
This piece of ps is absolutely splendid! are you open to reviewing ps' and giving any feedback at all? cheers

hey i really need your help

hey i really need your help with my personal statement. how can i contact u? please check mine and help me out. i love ur statement btw

How the hell did you get an

How the hell did you get an offer from Oxford, LSE and not from University of Bristol?

:O Help me out here please!
Because I am applying to Bristol but my predicted grades are AAD which are way way below yours. Im thinking if you didn't get an offer then where in the hell will I get one?

I would love to get some help

I would love to get some help from you regarding on my personal statement!

Hi Mopac. I mailed you at the

Hi Mopac. I mailed you at the above id but it says delivery error. Can you please give me your e mail? i need your help man!

hey!

hey!
i would really like your help in writing my personal statement .. since you have such a good one ...
thanks

lEONvLakG

I appreciate you sharing this article.Really looking forward to read more. Much obliged.

Help me

If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get at GCSE and A level?

Hi, i'm planning to study

Hi, i'm planning to study economics at uni preferrably at either LSE or Cambridge, im having difficulty writing it at the moment, is it possible if you can email me?

Hey, this is really good and

Hey, this is really good and i am applying for economics and maths at lse (main target), I was wondering if i could get in touch with you somehow.
Thanks

someone help me do mine

someone help me do mine

just kidding

just kidding

Overall a very strong

Overall a very strong personal statement in my mind. I especially liked the opening and the way you subtly included academic results without wasting too many characters. Whilst, if I'm honest, the book keeping and such for your mum isn't the greatest work experience, the following passage where you described the skills you gained from it and how they would be applicable to the course is great. I only hope my personal statement can be near the same standard as this.

Hi. Your personal statement

Hi. Your personal statement is great. I've written about 3 drafts but I am not sure about them. Can I get ur email address and i can email my personal statement to u. plz plz plz. Help!!