Economics and Politics Personal Statement Example 6

My interest in economics and politics arose from the fact that I come from a region which is politically and culturally complex. The countries formed after the break-up of the former Yugoslavia are at different stages of transition and integration into the European Union, and different levels of economic development. Growing up in a politically and economically unstable region I became increasingly aware of the majority of problems my country has faced since the civil war of the 1990's. Also I have developed a strong interest in economics due to the fact that my father is financial and executive director of one of the biggest companies in Bosnia & Herzegovina, and I could observe and engage in his work in the field of finance and economics. This provided me with a solid but varied insight into the use and effect of various financial applications and tools.

I attend the Economic High School (EHS), where I developed my strong mathematical background and analytic abilities. I have successfully finished 3 years of EHS with the highest grades (5/5) in the fields of accounting, economics and mathematics. During the fourth (final) year of EHS, monetary economics and banking have confirmed my passion for banking and investments, particularly in the field of mergers and acquisitions. As a final exam (Matura) I have chosen to focus on international finance and am predicted the highest mark (5/5) in the exam in May, which should be a reflection of my overall success in EHS.

I hope to have the opportunity to study at a higher level and learn more about the impact that decisions have on businesses and industries at the national level, in particular the effect government policies have on the economy and on employment, and also to learn more about the impact of international trade.

I became especially aware of the importance of economics in developing countries like mine, in April 2014, when I was selected by a panel of educators to participate in a project called the "Youth Leadership Program" founded by the US Embassy. I was provided with an economic, politic and democratic insight by one of the most developed countries in the world.

Apart from going to the EHS I successfully finished 2 years of Music High School at the same time. I play piano and guitar, but music had to take second place to my academic studies. I am an active member of "Connecting Classrooms", the project founded by the British Council, which taught me about teamwork, responsibility and time management. Also I am a volunteer at the local Red Cross where I have an opportunity to work with people with disabilities and war invalids, which is both moving and rewarding. This experience has made me a wiser and more compassionate person.

In addition, from the age of nine I have attended a private English school called Cerovac, where we study for the Cambridge ESOL exams. During the summers of 2010 to 2013 I have been improving my English at the Oxford School of English in the UK. This prepared me to analyze and communicate clearly and effectively, in both spoken and written English. I learnt to be independent far from home and it prepared me for the college life. But the most valuable experience at Oxford was interacting with the students from all over the world who share my love of economics and world politics.

In my spare time I love playing tennis, enjoy reading, swimming or doing crossword. I read avidly the Economist and the Financial Times, following current financial affairs and economics globally.

I have found economics to be a challenging and demanding, but excellent and perspective discipline. I feel that I have developed the skills necessary to meet the challenges that higher education in the UK will provide, and these are challenges I look forward to meeting. I am determined and confident and I will do all that is necessary to achieve the best results in further education.

My interest in economics and politics arose from the fact that I come from a region which is politically and culturally complex...