Computing and Systems Development Personal Statement Example

Computers and IT have always interested me, ever since I could understand the basics of using one and was able to use Microsoft paint. It intrigues me understanding how a computer works, what the components do and how software and games are coded. Choosing this course was easy, as I am very interested in Programming, Website Design and Creation and Computer systems, which are three of the units that your course offers. The course will also help me get into my desired career, as I want to be a game designer, IT analyst or IT manager.

I have studied two different BTEC Subsidiary Diplomas while at Sunderland college, those being Applied Medical Science which lasted a year and I am coming to the end of my year studying IT. The BTEC in IT has given me a slight taster into the large world of computing and has left me wanting to vastly expand my knowledge. I enjoyed studying the Games Design unit and the Computer Systems unit, as they are both the kind of things that I would be wanting to do as a career. We have also used Visual Basic to create a booking system for a travel company, building multiple forms and using tools such as radio buttons and time and date pickers.

I am very capable when it comes to using computers and have a bare basic understanding of Java. I am very comfortable when using windows but I have rarely used Macs before. I'm very enthusiastic and capable, and I don't let a hard challenge get the best of me and I tend to thrive when I am busy

Previously I have worked at several places. I started my first job just after I left secondary school working for a well known sports chain. I didn't stay there for long though due to complications at home due to my mum having an amputation. The next job that I had was at a small insurance company, where I used excel and database to keep track of customers. I also helped fix any problems I could with the computers. The last job that I had was working at the local football stadium in the food kiosks, serving people food and drinks.

While I am not at college, I am usually socialise with my friends or my girlfriend. Occasionally, I play football with my friends. I also run a YouTube channel where I do vlogs, gaming videos and games reviews. This is helping me build my confidence and I find it very enjoyable. Playing computer games is a huge passion of mine which is why I spend a lot of time playing on the Play Station 3 or on my laptop. Some of my favourite games are The Binding of Isaac and Borderlands.

I think that this course would help me greatly in my chosen career path and would be excellent for progressing my knowledge in computers. I also welcome the challenge of higher education and making new friends.

This personal statement was written by michaelc09 for application in 2012.

michaelc09's university choices
University of Sunderland