Share this page Twitter RSS Facebook

Civil Engineering Personal Statement

A great appreciation of architecture and buildings, both aesthetically and structurally, has inspired my ambition to study civil engineering. To learn how all the different elements interact and rely upon one another to function and how the foundations and drainage of a building combine to ensure the structure is sound (as clearly shown by the iconic Lloyds of London) would be amazing.

Cities are continuing to expand and develop. Engineering provides the opportunity to shape and manipulate the surrounding environment and inevitably the world in which we live. This has ignited in me a great passion and desire to become a Chartered Engineer. Engineering is always changing and developing. I enjoy learning about new advancements and technologies incorporated into design and construction.

Studying engineering will provide me with the long awaited opportunity to help create and construct a better planet that is greener, eco friendly and which can maintain fossil fuels and non-renewable resources. I strive to be a part of the transformation where the needs of a growing population are provided for and people can live sustainably.

My first work experience placement at Camm Architects intensified my enthusiasm for engineering. A Nuffield Bursary facilitated a 4 week placement at Hertfordshire University where I studied the environmental side of engineering, examining the impacts of construction and ways we can work with the environment.

Working at degree level has given me a great start to my engineering career and has also enhanced my teamwork and communication skills. I gained the Gold Crest Award from my project at university and it helped me confirm Civil Engineering as my chosen field of study. I have attended UCL courses in Civil Engineering and I greatly enjoyed developing my problem-solving skills and applying my knowledge to situations outside school subject specifications.

In my first year at Sixth Form, I studied 5 AS Levels which required me to optimise my time management. I was also a reading buddy and had a part-time job at a garden centre. Furthermore, I am very involved in school events, including working in a team, parking cars on Open Days, and showing visitors around.

I love the challenge of Maths; it is extremely rewarding and satisfying (once a long equation is complete). Physics is another subject I enjoy. For my coursework I investigated a torsion pendulum and how changing the thickness of the wire affects the rotation period. I greatly appreciate how things unite for change.

Studying Biology has enabled me to appreciate the role that engineers can play in balancing working industry and the natural environment. Product Design enters inside products and looks at how it was created. It also helps me with IT skills as I use software such as Pro/ENGINEER, Google SketchUp and Pro/DESKTOP to explode items and construct my own designs.

Currently I am working towards my Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award. I especially enjoy being part of a team. For the service element, I attended a fire station for 4 weeks developing my problem-solving and communication skills as we were thrown into unfamiliar situations (often blind-folded).

Air Cadets has taught me the discipline needed when working in a team in addition to learning to fly a plane. Sport is a huge part of my life, and the 2012 Olympics has given me the opportunity to become a Games Master and volunteer to help at the Olympics Village.

I am a keen golf and tennis player and played football for 9 years where, as a team captain, I had to be proactive, idyllic team leader. I also played the guitar and took part in school shows.

I have applied for sponsorship at a variety of companies and hope to work for a company such as Skanska or ARUP one day. I very much look forward to an exciting and fulfilling career in Civil Engineering where I can engage in the diversity of engineering.

Description: 
Please tell me what you think of it, thank you.
Year applied: 
2011
Subject: 
Engineering