Share this page StumbleUpon Twitter RSS Facebook

Biochemistry personal statement

Studying life processes in molecular terms deeply appeals to me. I was fascinated by the importance of simple molecules, such as water molecule; playing its role as a biological solvent, reactant molecule and temperature regulator. Studying Biochemistry will enhance my interest in the structure and the functions of biological molecules. I enjoy the fact that it uses the principles and techniques of chemistry to understand basic biological process in living things. I am interested in both the practical and theoretical study of biochemistry, in this area of study I believe that I have the motivation, commitment and determination to succeed.

I am looking forward to studying Biochemistry, in particular genetics, pharmacology and neurology because I find them very fascinating and exciting. I enjoyed studying A-level chemistry, especially the biological aspect of the subject such as protein synthesis and neurotransmitters. Studying mathematics and physics at A-level allowed me to think clearly and logically, providing me with the ability to work accurately, and hence increasing my problem solving skills.

My first schooling was in 2003. I had no formal education for the first 14 years of my life due...... Considering the disadvantages I have faced I believe that I have made huge progress, not only in the acquisition of the English language but also academically. This meant working harder than my contemporaries and I was fully prepared to do that, by working independently and teaching myself. In my gap year I want to develop myself in order to build up my self-esteem and gain self-confidence. I want to focus on the skills I wish to develop in order to contribute to a more sustainable future.

I find volunteering at Cancer Research very rewarding; allowing me to use my personal qualities to help the community and to contribute to the world and its worthy causes. It also gives me the opportunity to learn new skills and gain much needed experience, hence increasing my confidence. It is hugely fulfilling as I'm doing it out of passion and interest. I undertook a 5 week work experience at ***** Hospital; spending my time at different departments, including pathology, hematology, and imaging. My duties included taking measurements, carrying out Statistical analysis using my Mathematical skills and observing the staffs performing their duties. The hematology and nuclear imaging departments were very exciting as it involves diagnosing any disease through different methods. I can also link this to my career as they both are applied to the needs of the community by way of diagnosis of disease and use this to provide the building blocks necessary to develop solutions to their health. Combining this experience with the knowledge I have gained helped me to appreciate and understand not only what biochemistry is about, but also the reasons I am doing it for.

I enjoy craft work, including sewing and knitting, which increases my ability to be more creative and I'm willing to extend it to a more advanced level in my gap year. I have also enrolled in Arabic classes as my ambitions include becoming multi-lingual and broadening my horizons and interests.

I am certain that biochemistry is the right course for me because not only will it fulfill my interest in science, but also help me achieve my long term goal of becoming a Biochemist. I am looking forward to extending my knowledge and developing my analytical and research skills in order to reach my full potential.

teacher's advice on personal statement by guest at 16:49 17/07/2012

This is the best advice I have read so far on writing the personal statement. It is clear and makes sense - very helpful. Thank you!

Comment by guest at 14:46 22/08/2012

Some of this is a bit harsh though, don't you think? 'If you sink to that level, you don't deserve to go to university.' And some points I would never do, like changing 'during my week of work experience' into 'in my work experience'... it sounds lazy. Just my opinion though...

unhelpful by guest at 10:47 27/08/2012

his has to be the most unhelpful advice I have found yet. It is badly written and contains many inacuracies!

this teacher has to be anonymous by guest at 18:35 3/09/2012

because he/she has no empathy... I know so many who are great at writing personal statements and got into great school and also did well on exams, but all they did when they are not in school is excessive amount of alcohol and sex. You can say someone's personal statement isn't well written but don't judge who deserves to go to an university or not. You cannot possibly know the person who wrote the statement that well. It's only marketing and good products can have bad marketing while bad products can have great marketing.

Comment by guest at 10:45 3/10/2012

You didn't think to proof-read before publishing harsh criticism of student grammar...? I also enjoyed the sections titled 'Amateurishness' and 'Cut pomposity'. How poignant.

Oh dear by guest at 16:13 22/10/2012

This is terribly written and unclear. And whilst it does include some helpful advice, the majority is self-contradictory. Got very frustrated while reading this - hope this man has no say in admissions.

Comment by guest at 06:37 11/12/2012

This is brilliant. I laughed so hard.

Comment by guest at 08:47 9/03/2013

just spent so much time reading this n was preparring to make alterations to my PS but when i read the comments below, i got stuck. i came here for some clarity but now, im confused & annoyed!

Make your mind up! by guest at 12:15 10/07/2013

In one section you advise against saying you're good at something, then further down state that there's nothing wrong with doing so. Confusing for students, particularly as you offer very few suggestions as to what they should include!

Comment by guest at 15:30 8/11/2013

unbelievably helpful. thank you so much

Comment by guest at 00:46 15/11/2013

I feel like there are some interesting and helpful comments on here but unfortunately their value is decreased by how bitter and rude this is. Students writing a personal statement are worried enough without bitter comments. I understand that students need to know the truth but I feel like this has been written in too harsh a tone to be taken seriously.

Comment by guest at 10:17 15/11/2013

I love it. Want more.

This personal statement was written by photon for application in 2008.

Way to go! by guest at 07:35 11/01/2008

Wow, pretty impressive from someone who didn't attend school until being 14 years old. Definitely sounds motivated and deeply desiring an opportunity. Way to go!

Comment by photon at 2008-03-08 03:01:16

who sed all personal statements are original.... bein accepted to bristol id say i dona gud job........ is all art

Comment by guest at 16:36 29/08/2008

Your personal statement is pretty impressive and I think your experience to be diverse

tZYdPTNSM by guest at 00:48 24/07/2013

I truly appreciate this blog post.Thanks Again. Will read on...

QFlWtkpMUh by guest at 11:54 3/08/2013

Thanks-a-mundo for the article.Thanks Again. Awesome.