Share this page StumbleUpon Twitter RSS Facebook

Architecture Personal Statement

Creation is a powerful skill, an intriguing ability evolving from our originalities and perspectives. By formulating our own unique creations, we may endeavour to create a parallel between our imagination and the world in which we live. Winston Churchill once emphasised the fact that "we shape our buildings, thereafter they shape us". In my mind, these buildings personify and embody the diverse cultures that exist today, reflecting the power and endless potential of man's genius. Self expression is what differentiates us as an individual. It is my passion for Architecture that acts as a catalyst for inspiration and therefore provides me with a prominent sense of ambition and desire. GCSE and A-Level qualifications have given me an opportunity to appreciate the aesthetic beauty prevalent in the world today. This insightful demonstration has allowed my passion to evolve further, hence determining my decision to continue at a more advanced level. I believe the course will challenge my creative potential, culminating in the formulation of my own, authentic designs. In effect, Architecture is a potent, influential force in my life that has given me a sense of direction and meaning. I agree with the ideology that an individual will rarely exceed his own expectations. Architecture installs in me a belief that I can achieve and reach new heights, therefore acting as a foundation for success and fulfilment in the future

To me, viewing a structure in person is substantially more potent than a mere image. Travelling has succeeded in broadening my horizons and opening up my mind, therefore allowing me to appreciate traditional British Architecture and the spectacles created by foreign predecessors. Last year, I travelled with my school to Barcelona, a city with an abundance of style and creativity. Buildings such as the Palacio Guell and the Mila Casa are simply inanimate representations of one mans personal style, a testament to Gaudi's creative excellence. Moreover, I also completed work experience with a contractor at Eton College. This process of shadowing a professional permitted me to survey Architecture with a greater sense of clarity

It is only by completing this experience that I can truly comprehend the complexities of the profession

Although I view learning as a crucial area to focus upon in my life, I strive to be more complex than this, making myself a more well rounded individual. Essentially, maintaining a healthy body is a prerequisite to achieving a healthy state of mind. Therefore, I frequently visit the gym and participate in a variety of sporting activities, both traditional and unique. Personally, I enjoy sports such as tennis, rowing and football. In effect, these events allow me to work within a team orientated environment, whilst maintaining my individualistic sense of achievement. Conversely, I also attempt to integrate my passion with Architecture into my free time. On many occasions I utilise ICT facilities such as CAD in order to release the flow of ideas within my mind. This contrast of leisure and learning enables me to develop a clear sense of balance within my life

In my opinion, it is certain moments in time that encapsulate all our beliefs and theories. During my visit to Barcelona, I had the privilege to view the Casa Mila, a perfect representation of originality. Viewing this intriguing structure first hand simply confirmed my passion, enlightening me on the endless possibilities that exist. The Casa Mila is perceived in a myriad of contexts, by a myriad of people, accentuating Gaudi's genius long after his death. I do not intend to follow the path of any individual, yet follow a path unique to myself. A famous quote once stated "don't bother just to be better than contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself". I believe University is the first part of my journey and look forward to participating in a rewarding, self fulfilling course.

Comment by guest at 01:19 10/07/2007

is all this sentimental twaddle really what admissions tutors are looking for? The person who wrote this sounds better suited to a philosophy degree. Would love to know if they got accepted, and if yes then where.

Comment by guest at 19:54 23/09/2007

was this person from a private school, by any chance?

Comment by guest at 15:08 28/09/2007

this is fantastic!

Comment by guest at 09:56 30/10/2007

I thought it was a personal statement about architecture not Winston Churchill. But hell yeah go for it.

Comment by guest at 14:22 31/10/2007

Is it a bad thing i don't know who winston churhill is!!!

Comment by guest at 17:04 5/11/2007

i like it, its better then the generic "i have been on the school hockey team for 2 years, it has taught me too work in a team" statements on here. well done!

Comment by guest at 21:47 16/11/2007

i think i is good but you it is too flowery. however you have alot of knowledge about the subject. tiy it up and you have it. it is good

Comment by guest at 21:47 16/11/2007

Comment by guest at 12:45 23/11/2007

where does winston churchill come into it? bring up ghengis khan if anything because he was the hardest mongolian warrior ever.

Very Good by guest at 01:10 26/12/2007

This personal statement is very very good. It is obvious that the writer is as creative, well-rounded and well-read as they suggest that they are. This is the personal statement of someone who gets accepted into the universiy of their first choice. Well done.

Comment by guest at 11:53 10/07/2008

i think this statement is clearly very good and im sure he got eccepted and from his ive worked with 'eton college' hes obviously applied to cambridge and was privately educated but thats not such a bad thing. it is slightly to decorated around the point but im sure the tutors caught on with his ambition. im really impressed with the quotationsss... yes the personal statement isnt about churchill but the quote is relaventtt.

From just another employer by guest at 21:55 12/10/2008

This is so much plagiarised mumbo jumbo, which I seriously doubt was created by a 17 year old. Since when did simply viewing a building in Barcelona, endow a privilege on anyone? If universities are taken in by this jargon, it is a sad indictment on the type of students they are attracting to their institutions and more worrying for the types of professionals they believe business desire.

Good for undegraduate by guest at 06:02 11/01/2009

The introduction of this essay is well crafted, the Winston Churchill quote is relevant and contributes to the flow of the overall paragraph. (its always good to throw in a quote here and there, implies that you read) However, the subsequent paragraphs about visiting Barcelona are too cursory and superficial; simply admiring buildings does not automatically give anyone the right to become an architect or a designer. With that stated it is a good essay for an undergraduate student with limited experience though.

Comment by guest at 00:53 14/01/2009

you shouldnt use quotes, its a PERSONAL statment make up your own!

Comment by guest at 22:35 3/02/2009

This statement leaves the reader with a very good first impression.

... by guest at 14:43 13/03/2009

does he base his architectural excellence on Churchill and his travelling experience and context on Gaudi?.... lame P.S. i love Gaudi's architecture but it is the first example from the architectural text book...there is so much more to architecture than admiring Gaudi

Comment by guest at 23:06 9/04/2010

ive read every architecture statement on this site and this is by far one of the best. the mumbo jumbo jargon spoken of earlier IS what they want to hear because you couldnt spk the talk if u didnt hav some knowledge on it and even if parts r copied it shows they took time to research the subject, which shows interest

HIPHIPHIP HEYY by guest at 11:18 18/10/2010

HIPIDY HIP WHAY HEY HEY, DING-DA DIP HOP HIP HAP HOOOW!

Comment by guest at 16:34 10/12/2010

penis cake

Comment by guest at 23:46 19/01/2011

I think this statement is a bit too far... The language is so rich,that you get lost in the meaning... If I were to to accept students, I would definitely consider this statement, but would be very attentive to every detail on the interview... The stateent is suspicious

Grade-A Bullshit by guest at 14:25 23/06/2011

is whoever wrote this for real? I've never seen something so pompous.

Comment by guest at 09:48 21/09/2011

you are an utter twat

muha by guest at 17:23 19/10/2013

Ctrl C Ctrl V - Done