Accounting & Pharmacy Personal Statement Example

From an early age I developed an strong interest in to the world of business and finance. My dad ran several family businesses and I spent most of my time around him in this business environment.

One thing that attracted me to business related courses is that accounting and finance is the backbone to every successful business, without proper account keeping and finance it is almost impossible for any type of business to survive especially in the economic crisis that surrounds us today.

My interest in business and finance then joined with chemistry when I reached my standard grade exams.

As a student, chemistry is one subject I find enjoyable, which is due to the application of equations to find solutions as well as a more common interest in the theory involved especially in organic chemistry.

The challenge of thinking and pushing my mental ability has always attracted me to mathematical problems and it was while doing higher mathematics I found it became another one of my most enjoyable subjects.

This was mainly due to the simplicity involved, you can always reach the correct answer if you follow the right steps in a systematic order.

At school I tried not to limit myself to one subject area as having a wide range of subjects can provide the advantage of gaining a wide range of skills. Choosing advanced higher art and design allowed me to acquire the abilities of accuracy, paying close attention to detail and work to deadlines.

Whereas in advanced modern studies I experienced the self motivation needed and the skills required to do my own research from a logical and analytical approach. Achievement in my classes at school was very important and as a result I received an outstanding effort award every year as well as rewards for specific subjects.

Having work experience in a hospital gave me the chance to observe doctors taking blood tests, blood cultures and blood gas as well as assist junior doctors in a punch biopsy where I encountered the importance of the precautions taken to prevent infection.

Also a work placement in the pharmacy department helped me gain insight to what the job involves, such as advising staff and patients on the best drugs to use, preparing drugs and medical products then arranging for them to be delivered to various departments.

I volunteer at the hospice at least once a week, the main aim of this was not to gain more work experience (although a perk of the job) but a more genuine choice as I have saw the important role that volunteers have from the personal experience of when my own dad was admitted there.

It has been a good opportunity for me to gain direct patient to patient contact as well as improve my communication skills.

Researching about the work of the hospice made me see the importance of the drugs that are used in the palliative care approach and the effect they have on the patient to ensure a painless and peaceful death, which is why I am so supportive of the hospice's work.

It was from this point that my interest in drug development, drug therapy and how drugs target specific illnesses developed. I also developed an interest into the business aspect of the running of the hospice.

Questions arose in my mind as to how the hospice manages to run based almost solely on fund raising and donations.

The idea intrigued me and researching into it I realised the importance of the financial system as well as the medical contribution.

It was also from this that I realised that the importance of accounts and finance is not just limited to big business corporations and debt collecting company's but in most, if not all organisations.

The experience of the hospice has furthered my desire to go into pharmacy or into a finance sector.

Going to university has always been one of my main goals as it will be the first step to achieving success in life, which is why success in my application is very important to me.

This personal statement was written by reesha for application in 2009.

reesha's Comments

I think I did a pretty good job of mixing these 2 subjects together =)

what unis did unis did u

what unis did unis did u apply to and did you get into pharmacy?

did you get into accountancy

did you get into accountancy or pharmacy? And what unis did you get into?