Textiles Personal Statement Example

This year I have been studying towards my HNC in Applied Arts in order to gain valuable experience in a range of new media and develop my art skills. I am interested in all fields of art and design, particularly the design crafts, such as textiles.

Textiles influence all areas of my art,whether its pressing textures into metal in jewellery, or using them as for collage in my drawing and painting, and the course has helped me greatly in deciding that this is the path I would like to take further in my artistic career.

I have just started my second term of the course and so far we have completed units in Jewellery Design and Production, Observational Drawing and Creative Process, all of which I have enjoyed and have helped me enhance and develop my range of skills and my creative thinking as an artist, a skill which is very important when developing ideas into successful final pieces, something that all artists do in every field of art.

Beyond the classroom I have been attending weekly life drawing classes for the past 3 years in order to allow me to further enhance my skills as a draughtsman.

have attended many extra curricular courses such as non certificate courses in Digital Photography and Art History, Dressmaking Classes, which allowed me to experiment with fabrics and textiles, and have booked a place at a 10 week Hatmaking course beginning in January.

I am also organising work experience at a weaving mill during the Easter break in order to gain valuable work experience and greater knowledge of the industrial side of textiles, which is very important for those seeking a career in the industry.

At the end of last year I won The Ian Cooke Award for Digital Photography, and Colours for my artistic performance and dedication to the art school through my help as a primary school classroom assistant. I found it extremely rewarding to help these children develop their artistic abilities and, in some cases, discover a passion for the subject.

2 years ago I did a weeks work experience at Edinburgh College of Art. From this experience I was able to get a feel for life at art college and, being surrounded by the current students, get a glimpse of the artistic level expected from those wishing to study art at a higher level.

I want to study textiles in order to pursue my passion for the art and textiles movements and explore the thin line between the two disciplines, which is something I am extremely interested in. I am interested in every aspect of textiles: form, texture, line, pattern and particularly colour.

I am not only interested in these areas in textiles, but also in art, and I try to incorporate all these things into my drawing and painting. Colour is something I am drawn to, and my favourite artists all use bold colour in their works. Egon Schiele uses murky, gaudy colours which contrast well with his strong line, Gustav Klimt uses rich reds and golds to emphasise a feeling of power, and Jenny Saville uses bold contrasts of reds, blues and greens to create dramatic and expressive pieces.

In my textiles degree I hope to explore colour further than I have previously through use of new media, pattern, and exploration of harmonious and contrasting pallettes in my textiles.

I feel studying this course at your institution would allow me to do this, as well as setting me up well for life after university, through its excellent reputation and the courses aim to prepare you for the textiles industry.

I believe the diversity of my interests and my dedication to my artwork show that I am able to organize my time effectively and find balance in my life, preparing me well for higher education. I feel I could become a valuable asset to my college as a whole and look forward to the opportunities this will present for me.

This personal statement was written by moonpaws2009 for application in 2009.

art

how did you no what to write in it i have to make one and i have no clue how to put it all together

wTUtZYdP

Very good blog article.Really thank you! Keep writing.

IYcFEQKCOp

I really enjoy the blog post.Really thank you! Great.