Pharmacy Personal Statement Example 7

The course of the medical world has been phenomenally changed by the discovery of Penicillin, one of the most effective life-saving drugs. Such advances intrigue me to learn about the formation of drugs, how they produce an effect in the body and their correct usage on people. As innovative medicines are being developed for emerging diseases, a pharmacist's role is crucial and at the forefront to provide medicines in a safe and effective way. Pharmacy appeals to me as it involves studying both health and chemical sciences, which I am passionate about, and it would enable me to help and work with patients which I would find very gratifying.

Attending the 'Science School Conference 2010' organized by the Royal College of Pathologists, enlightened me more on the practical side of healthcare. I found the talk about virology by Dr Mark Atkins enthralling, especially the fact that the outbreak of past viral epidemics has geared up scientists to devise new techniques to tackle the forthcoming attacks.

Ever since learning the fundamentals of Chemistry, I knew this was the pathway I would follow.Chemistry at A-Level has developed my understanding of the atomic structures, bonding and chemical mechanisms which I believe are elementary to study Pharmacy. It has also catalysed my grasp in learning biochemistry of biological molecules such as enzymes in Biology. I immensely enjoyed learning about the functions of antibiotics in inhibiting the growth of bacteria, although bacterial resistance, for example in 'superbugs' is proving to be a huge problem for treating bacterial infections. Laboratory experiments in both courses have greatly increased my practical and analytical skills.

Equally, Maths with statistics, has improved my logical thinking, problem solving and data handling skills. Through hard work, good essay writing, group discussion and presentation skills I was able to score the top marks in Law at AS. In addition, the subject made me more aware of the English Legal System and enhanced my understanding of the code of ethics and professionalism of pharmacists.

Furthermore, a work placement gave me an insight into the role of a community pharmacist therefore reinforcing my interest in a lifetime involvement in Pharmacy. There I carried out tasks such as pricing medicines, sorting prescriptions in order and finding the medicines for a prescription. I watched the pharmacist dispense medicines and advise clients. It was interesting to encounter recovering heroin addicts who were interacted with great calm and given the correct dose of a substitute drug known as Methadone. I was fascinated to acknowledge the large availability of either generic or prescription only drugs, that also made me realise the importance of the responsibility of a pharmacist as wrong dispensing of medicines can lead to fatal consequences.

As a Fundraising Assistant at the Sickle Cell Society I gained sound knowledge about charity work and improved my organisational skills by managing numerous tasks. Whilst volunteering at the Asian People Disability Alliance, I engaged with disabled adults in various activities, learnt more about their behaviour and used effective communication skills to understand and fulfill their needs.

By participating in the Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award I have developed teamwork skills and have demonstrated keen commitment as a responsible team player in order to survive the challenges. Due to my leadership qualities I was chosen to represent the Brent Girls Volleyball Team as a captain. Playing basketball and swimming regularly have given me a healthy lifestyle. I have enhanced my creativity and artistic skills through my favourite hobby of painting and drawing, for which I have won awards at various art competitions back in Nepal. With my determination, dedication and understanding of what a pharmacy career entails,I believe I make an ideal candidate for this course and look forward to meeting the challenges of university life.

This personal statement was written by sus11 for application in 2011.

sus11's Comments

Hope this helps as it did for me to see other PS for guidance.
Please feel free to comment and ask any questions.

Aston University- Conditional Offer
University of Reading- Conditional Offer
School of Pharmacy - Interview
University of Nottingham- Unsuccessful
University of Brighton- no reply yet

Hey, I was wondering what

Hey, I was wondering what were the offers made to you?
And the interview process?

^ Same person as above; were

^ Same person as above; were you applying for the 2011-2012 cycle?

good and detailed ps u did a

good and detailed ps u did a great job with it no wonder why you got 4 offers from 4/5 universities.

sus11 comment

hi guys, lost my pw and username but here are ur replies.

-thanks to the comment written at 05/11/2011.

-yes I did apply for 2011/2012.

-Offers made were as follows:
Aston : AAB( no interview)

Reading : ABB ( interview went ok. they asked questions relating to pharmacy eg. identifying functional gps, conversion of units, and some basic interview questions )

School of Pharmacy : AAA ( the interviewer was quite friendly. he asked basic interview questions such as why pharmacy, why their univeristy, fields of pharmacy etc)

hey what grades did you get

hey what grades did you get at AS level?

hey can you tell me what AS

hey can you tell me what AS grades you got and What your predicted were?

This is an amazing personal

This is an amazing personal statement! well done :)