Adult Nursing Personal Statement Example 4

For the past fourteen years I have been working in the caring profession; almost twelve of those have been with the NHS.

Throughout this time I have gained various caring skills working in a hospital and community setting, which have also improved my people skills and how I interact with others. I have a genuine interest in all of my patient's quality of life and always aim to give one hundred percent towards this.

My experiences to date have involved caring for seriously ill children and adults. I have also cared for adults with debilitating mental illnesses such as Alzheimers and Dementia and physical illnesses such as Parkinsons, Cancer and MS.

My role as a community rehabilitation assistant requires me to support and encourage independence after fractures, strokes etc. It also requires me to work effectively as a team player and individually.

This involves liasing with various healthcare professionals, regarding patient care. Most frequently my contact would be with Community District Nurses. Their professionalism, commitment and skills inspire me.

I feel the rewards of a professional career in nursing would satisfy the goals I have hoped to achieve for quite a while. I feel I have the drive, enthusiasm and skills to train, and hopefully one-day work as a nurse. Nursing is more than a profession; it is a way of life, as so much of a nurse's personality and enthusiasm goes into their job.

I am eager to pursue this career as my present post gives me job satisfaction, but feel I could give so much more. To realise this goal I knew I needed to gain the appropriate qualifications.

While working in the Ulster Hospital, I returned to part time education in 1997 to gain Maths and English GCSEs. After this I began working in the community for the South & East Belfast Trust and in 2005 completed an NVQ level 3 in Diagnostic & Therapeutic Support.

I embarked on an Access course in 2006 at Belfast Metropolitan College, whilst remaining in my full time job. My employers were very accommodating and flexible, which allowed me time to attend college classes.

Although I have found this challenging at times, it has been a positive experience, which has made me more determined to study hard. It has also confirmed to me that I am capable of achieving my goals, by sacrificing my down time and working hard.

From the beginning of my Access course until present, I sacrificed a lot of my free time to ensure my assignments were completed and handed in on time. Most of my time had been previously dedicated to my favourite hobby; teaching Ballroom, Latin and Salsa dancing.

I really enjoy working with adults and building a rapport with them. Teaching has improved my confidence and made me more outgoing, I am not afraid of publicly addressing a group of people.

It has similarities to my job, both have taught me to appreciate people as individuals and be patient and understanding with them. I still enjoy dancing and teaching it as a form of exercise and use it as way to unwind.

I am positive that these skills and characteristics would be of benefit when training and working as a nurse. Nursing is a profession where the primary aim is providing indiscriminate care to the patient, which entails both physical and emotional support.

Secondary to the patient care, family involvement is a large factor. Providing emotional support to both patient and family in times of distress is one of the many skills required. My work experience to date has equipped me with these skills. On many occasions this has meant supporting patients until the end of life.

I am eager to pursue nursing as a life changing career in order to contribute to the welfare of others. My ultimate goal is to become as Community District Nurse, which I hope to achieve with further training.

This personal statement was written by elly4 for application in 2008.

elly4's Comments

Hope this is helpful to any aspiring nurses like me!

Kelly

Thank you ever so much, your words have helped me in many ways. I hope you manage to follow your dreams and become a district nurse, i'm hoping to do the same, just getting started!

great statement

what a great statement you have really helped me in a certain way thanks.

I think this statement is

I think this statement is very clear and thought out. It speaks positively about previous employment while recognising the need to move on to a more fulfilling career path. Really good.

what a fantastic personal

what a fantastic personal statement i feel like mine wont even get considered now i have read yours i did apply the night before it was due as myself and my husband had enquired and realised the deadline was the next day!

piPTDXOr

Thank you for your article post.Much thanks again.