Music Personal Statement Example 3

My inspiration to study music first came from when my music teacher played passages from different periods of music. I was amazed at how diverse music could be and the range of emotions music could convey. I had started flute and recorder lessons several years earlier and I later started piano lessons. My enthusiasm for music has developed from wanting to listen to music, to wanting to learn how music works, although this interest has been developed throughout my school life I feel there is still so much to learn and that is why I wish to further study music at university. My main interests in music lie in performance and music analysis, with particularly interest in the music of Mozart and Wagner. I have also enjoyed analysing and harmonising Bach chorales. My career aspiration is to go into music teaching. During my work experience I shadowed peripatetic teachers to different schools, this gave me a valuable insight into the career I wish to pursue. My time at work experience taught me how to motivate people and encourage students when they may be finding something difficult.

I currently play the flute to grade 8 standard and have recently taken my grade 8 exam. Within school I participate fully in the musical activities the school has to offer such as the school orchestra, flute choir and recorder consort. Taking part in these activities has taught me how to work as part of a team and has helped me improve my self discipline skills. Theses skills have also been enhanced by my participation within the Birmingham Schools' Orchestras. I am currently playing flute and piccolo in the Birmingham Schools' Concert Orchestra which meets every Saturday morning. Taking part in the orchestras has taught me the importance of attendance and punctuality. Last year I played principal flute in the Birmingham Schools' Wind Orchestra and took part in a concert tour to Holland, Germany and Belgium. These experiences have greatly enhanced my confidence to perform in public. I am also a member of the organisation Flutewise, being a member of Flutewise has enabled me to take part in several residential courses. Taking part in these courses has improved my performance skills by participating in various classes and workshops.

In addition to my musical activities I am an active member of the school debating team. Recently I participated in a national debating competition, although we did not reach the finals, the experience taught me how to speak in public confidently, how to structure a convincing argument and how to respond to relevant questions quickly and with confidence. This year I have also undertaken the role of helping within a year 7 form which includes overseeing student's planners and helping the form tutor organise their form time efficiently, this opportunity has helped with my organisation skills.

I also have a keen interest in languages, studying GCSE Spanish, German to AS level and recently starting after school lessons in Chinese. The experience of taking in part in three German exchanges has fuelled my enthusiasm for learning about different customs and cultures. As a life member of the YHA, I have enjoyed travelling in Britain and abroad.

My dedication, reliability and willingness to try new challenges will hopefully benefit me in higher education, both academically and socially. I feel that the diversity covered by a degree in music and overall university life, will significantly assist my future career ambitions.

This personal statement was written by Lorniebee for application in 2008.

qOWijkIGH

Very neat post.Thanks Again. Fantastic.