Law Personal Statement Example 54

My desire to study law is firmly rooted in my enjoyment of being involved in ongoing issues, as I feel that the law is the bedrock of a nation. I believe the study of law, and an eventual vocation in the legal system would be ideal for me, primarily due to my analytical personality and ability to accurately separate congruous information from the irrelevant. These traits have invested in me an aptitude for sustained and convincing argument.

I like to read the Guardian newspaper and observe the law supplement with much interest. It was this that initially fuelled my enthusiasm for the subject, and helped me to realise my ambition of a career in Law. I convinced myself further that this was the path that I wished to take, by gaining some law based work experience.

I have shadowed a magistrate at Croydon Court and have also been privileged enough to watch the trials of a variety of cases, including those for charges of perverting the course of justice and antisocial behaviour. I value these experiences greatly and I feel that they have enabled me to lay to rest any sensationalised preconceptions about the work of those involved in the British legal system.

I have proven myself to be a dedicated student in the past as I have won trophies within my school, including the Jubilee Cup for English, the Philip Robinson Cup for Humanities and the sixth form trophy for Academic Achievement. I am also a strong believer in working for the good of the public, and volunteer on a weekly basis at 'Debbie's Club', a local social club for people with disabilities. This is an activity that I find very rewarding, as I feel it is important to be involved in the local community.

In addition, I have always been an active member of college, as I enjoy playing the piano and taking part in concerts. I feel incredibly privileged to have been able to compose the music for a college production of Ron Nicol's 'The Snow Queen'. I like to think of myself as a good leader, and I was head prefect during my GCSE years at school.

This role involved not only the management of the prefect team, but included the representation of the school on academic outings. For me, a highlight of this responsibility was attending a debating workshop held by the English Speaking Union, which enhanced my public speaking skills and developed my ability to deliberate positive and negative evidence. I recognise these to be characteristics that are vital during the study and practice of Law.

I feel that by studying for A-Levels in English, biology and geography, I have developed qualities which contribute to the start of the study of law. Like geography, the law is always changing and I am intrigued by the way in which both subjects adapt to an ever shifting society. The study of literature has equipped me with the ability to accurately analyse extended pieces of information, and through the study of Biology, I have experienced learning strict factual information, which itself follows a scientific law.

I feel I would be suited to a law degree as I am at my best when challenged, relish the opportunity of lateral thinking and enjoy evaluating the microcosm of human relations. Law permeates through everything in society and thus is pivotal to the maintenance of a well balanced civilisation. I feel that this is one of the most rewarding careers one can have, and I therefore hope I am allowed the opportunity to study law and begin my journey towards a future working in the legal system.

This personal statement was written by goodstudent for application in 2007.

goodstudent's Comments

Applied to Cambridge, Southampton, Portsmouth, and Surrey. Had interview at Cambridge and offers from the others

Nice statement. Well

Nice statement. Well researched and good use of the info available on the Oxford law faculty website. I take my lemon pie off to this statement.