Law Personal Statement Example 39

I decided to study law some months ago when I visited Worcester Crown Court. A parent was alleged to have neglected his child. As I analysed the circuit judge's verdict, it seemed to me that to exercise discretion, and back up facts with legal precedent, using a solid knowledge base, shows a great intellect.

I imagined the satisfaction one could feel from a comprehensive understanding of English law, both in day-to-day life and in practice.

I am interested in the controversial Counter Terrorism Bill. On the one hand I understand that national security is high on the government's agenda, but on the other hand, I believe that to detain terror suspects without charge is unjust, because 'justice delayed is justice denied'.

Such perennial legal principles, I believe, should form the backbone upon which new legislation is created. It may be the case that the public feels that terrorism is so serious that the law should favour them, rather than suspected terrorists. However, today, the House of Lords rejected the Government Bill to increase detention without trial, which I think is a step in the right direction.

I enjoy reading around the A level law specification. Glanville William's 'Learning the Law' and Lord Denning's 'What Next in the Law' have given me insight into what a law degree may entail. I am particularly interested in areas of legal reform. However, at the moment, I am concerned solely with 'black letter' law.

I spent my week's work experience with a local solicitor. I learnt a lot about the complexity of adult life and the duties one has as a citizen.

I found the magistrates' willingness to serve to be quite inspirational. The hearings, which were of quite trivial matters such as T.V. licensing, were dealt with quickly, without much passion. However, there was a sense of camaraderie between the lawyers. They were all concerned with justice, and I admired this.

I am a keen sportsman, and would like to continue playing cricket at university, and perhaps take up boxing. Cricket is a great way to relax. I enjoy the team work and I am a reasonably good opening batsman. I provide a hedge cutting service to local people, making enough money to run my car.

I also play guitar, and last year I formed a band called Negative Feedback, which, as the name suggests, didn't do too well. I am a member of the Sixth Form Committee, and I have also helped prospective students who are considering taking computing.

I am interested in computer science and computer programming. My current project is to design a finance management system for my parents. Working for my AS level in geography has helped me develop better time-management and organisational skills. The geography field trip to France, which was held over the summer, improved my team-work skills and gave me a deeper understanding of glacial processes and landforms.

I am also interested in philosophy and science. I have read Descartes' 'Meditations on First Philosophy', amongst others, and have over 2000 posts on a philosophy internet forum. In physics I have read Hawking, Greene and Hooft.

Over the summer I grappled with Penrose's masterpiece, 'The Road to Reality', and consequently decided to take maths at AS level. I used to find maths confusing, but with some extra effort, I am now much more competent in this subject. I proved to myself that I have a flexible mind. This experience has widened my academic ambitions.

The education that I have received over the last year has changed my attitude towards life. I now understand the value of education, both to oneself and to society. I also understand that law is vital to the function and development of society, and I hope to make my own contribution by practising law as a career.

This personal statement was written by will29292 for application in 2008.

will29292's Comments

took 2 days of hard work. got everything about myself in and the grammar is OK.

any comments welcome

thanks

Statement rating:****

needs alot of work

needs alot of work

Hu is the mad person sayin it

Hu is the mad person sayin it needs alot of work? this is class

Very poor, you do not have a

Very poor, you do not have a chance of getting into top universities with this, why would a university admissions officer care about how many posts you have had on your website or that you were involved in a failing band!

Ironically I am looking to

Ironically I am looking to study Law and I study computing at A2 , so this has been a helpful guideline of how to meld the two topics. Thanks

Honesty and effort for band.

Honesty and effort for band. Post count shows some interest, and it takes up like 5 words, I think it would split him up from the norm. This seems like a very good PS.

shame theres no such thing as

shame theres no such thing as cambrigde brooks...

Very good

This is amazing text, really wish i could write like this! really do not know where to start with mine!

It's OK, it has potential,

It's OK, it has potential, but there are a few things I'd omit. Don't go on so much about sports, don't use humour (unfortunately, this is the case!) and try and link back to law as much as you can. The opening paragraph is very good, though.

Good statement! You talk

Good statement! You talk about what you've read and all that. But the beginning should be a lot more interesting than "I want to study law because/I have always liked law."
Use something unique and catchy, how about?

thanks for the replys, very much.

'Very poor, you do not have a chance of getting into top universities with this, why would a university admissions officer care about how many posts you have had on your website or that you were involved in a failing band!'

2000 posts on a philosophy forum has developed my brain more than my college education- it is a very powerful subject. I doubt they care if my band failed. but I was honest, and maybe the joke makes the statement less boring?

'But the beginning should be a lot more interesting than "I want to study law because/I have always liked law.'

yes, this was a mistake, however I feel I have expressed a true desire of mine to study law:

to quote myself....... ;)

'I imagined the satisfaction one could feel from a
comprehensive understanding of English Law, both in day-to-day life and in practice.'

'I am interested in the controversial Counter Terrorism Bill. '

'I enjoy reading around the A. level Law specification.'

'I am concerned solely with 'black letter' law.'

'They were all concerned with justice, and I admired this.'

'I also understand that Law is vital to the function and development of society, and I hope to make my own contribution by practising Law as a career.'

------------------------------

any more constructive posts are very welcome. thanks for the feedback :)

'

alot of work needed if you want to go to cambridge

you dont show your educational background well enough eg whilst studying.....and never include negative things and dont get too hung up on mentioning every book you have looked at-what will cambridge or other unis talk to you at your interview???????

Ok, I was told you should

Ok, I was told you should NEVER EVER put your own personal opinions in your PS, on Pain of Death!! Sorry, but when you talk about the terrorism bill it's just too political. You should just focus on what you can give to the university.

yeah yeah yeah... tell me

yeah yeah yeah... tell me something i've not already read a thousand times.

well done.. wicked statement!

well done.. wicked statement!

It's frankly shocking that

It's frankly shocking that you started every paragraph with the word "I".

No one has done that since primary school, let alone in a university (Oxbridge!?) application.

is is that shocking?

the fact is this statement is to reflect myself as much as possible. the grammar therefore must be clear. saying 'don't start every paragraph with I' makes no sense at all. it's about me!

'circuit judges verdict'....

'circuit judges verdict'....

im guessing you didnt get a place on a law course if you're claiming to have visited a crown court, yet think the judge gives the verdict...