Law Personal Statement Example 28

My desire to study law stems back as far as primary school. It was at a very young age that I discovered that I wanted to become a lawyer and I have never wavered from this decision. Law is an area which I have always been fascinated by, mainly because of the vast array of topics covered and the massive implications law has upon our everyday lives.

I am aware that the decision to study this subject at university level is not one which should be taken lightly. It requires a considerable amount of skill, commitment and dedication, all attributes which I feel I possess.

My sister has just completed her first year of studying her LLB at Queens University, because of this I have had an extra insight into the structure and content of this degree course. For this reason I am now even more certain of my decision to study this degree.

I am very excited at the prospect of studying law, and am most looking forward to studying the areas of constitutional and contract law, as these are the areas which intrigued me most. I am also the looking forward to the impact and changes that being a university student will have on my life and feel that I am well equipped to deal with both the pressures and independence university life will bring.

After completing my A-levels in 2006 I took a gap year in which I worked as a member of cabin crew for an airline. During this time I lived on my own in London and then in Dublin. I found this experience to be invaluable to me and because of it I grew immensely as a person in a very short space of time.

I am now even more independent and have much more confidence in myself and the decisions I make in life. The legal profession is an area which requires much confidence, which I believe I possess and can use to my advantage in order to gain recognition in this competitive field of work.

Although I have already completed my A-levels my desire only to study law at university is the reason I made the decision to return to study this year and complete the Diploma in Combined Studies access course. To help broaden my knowledge in this area I have also obtained a work placement in a local solicitors office which I will be attending for the next few months, whilst completing my course at college.

In both my school and working life I have held various positions of authority. In my AS and A-level years at school I was made prefect and was also an active member of the charity organisation St. Vincent de Paul within the school.

As a member of this small group, I along with other students helped to organise fundraising events and activities for local charities. As members of this group we developed close bonds with the pupils of a local primary school and also with the residents of Thackery Place residential home.

I am aware that the study of law is an intellectual discipline in its own right and have learned that the study of law can be very different to the practice of law. I feel that I am both academically and socially equipped for all that university life and a law degree has to offer me and I hope that you will award me with the privilege of an offer from your university.

This personal statement was written by kathy123 for application in 2007.